Coventry City 0-1 Tranmere

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry City 0-1 Tranmere

Postby dutchman » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:58 pm

Rovers deal deadly blow to dominant Sky Blues


Coventry City slipped to their second successive League One loss after suffering a smash and grab defeat to struggling Tranmere Rovers.

Showcasing their new 2 Tone black and white third kit, the Sky Blues played some lovely football but struggled to carve out clear cut chances to stick the ball in the back of the net in a dominant opening half at St Andrew’s.

That changed after the break when chances came thick and fast but City were denied time and again by their wastefulness in front of goal as Matty Godden and Jordy Hiwula passed up good opportunities to score.

But with seven minutes left on the clock, City were caught napping at the back when Corey Blackett-Taylor got between two defenders and hit a brilliant angled finish to inflict Coventry’s first defeat at their groundshare venue on a day when they were left to reflect on missed opportunities in front of goal.

City dominated the first 45 with some bright attacking play but chances were few and far between on the Tranmere goal, the best of which fell to Hiwula as early as the fourth minute.

The outstanding Liam Walsh played the ball over the top for the striker who watched it down and hit and first time volley onto the roof of the net from a superb position from which to score.

The home side built moment to the break with a lovely move down the right resulting in Godden throwing himself at a Callum O’Hare cross it but just unable to connect with his head, before the striker did make contact with a Fankaty Dabo centre but powered the ball wide of the target.

Then, just before the half-time whistle, Jordan Shipley played a smart short corner to Walsh who hit an angled shot that looked to be going in until blocked by Liam Radehalgh’s arm but the referee waved play on despite appeals for hand ball.

City started the second half as they had ended the first with more decent approach play but Godden was guilty of a big miss when Zain Westbrooke slipped him in behind but, with all the goal to aim at, the striker lifted his left foot shot over the bar.

Godden went close again just before the hour when he headed a Dabo cross agonisingly wide at the near post before two almost identical chances in the space of a minute that should really have put the game to bed.

Rovers gave the ball away to Jordan Shipley who slipped a pass to Godden to his left where the striker turned onto his right foot and curled a shot round the keeper and onto the post.

A minute later Shipley sets up Hiwula in the same position but the striker curled wide of the far post for another big miss.

That came back to bite them on the backside in the 84th minute when the ball was headed out to the left of goal where Blackett-Taylor got between Dabo and Rose and then hit a clinical angled shot across the keeper and into the bottom corner to win the game for Rovers who recorded their first win on the road.

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 35125
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Return to News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

  • Ads