Homeless Coventry woman and her dog have been living in her car for over a year

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Homeless Coventry woman and her dog have been living in her car for over a year

Postby dutchman » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:26 pm

She says she wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for her dog

A woman from Coventry who became homeless a year and a half ago has been living in her car ever since.

Tina Brooks, who used to live in Tile Hill, lost her home in 2018 after suffering a mental breakdown.

She currently lives in her Citroen Picasso, with her five-year-old husky, Shadow.

After becoming involved in something that brought up bad memories from her childhood, Tina suffered a mental breakdown.

"It brought up so much stuff that I didn't want to think about and I just couldn't cope," she said.

"I went into this kind of depression, because my mother, who has now passed away, was also suffering with cancer at the time. She was given three months to live back in 2013.

"On the back of all that I just broke down, lost my job, everything. It sort of feels like it just happened overnight."

Tina is a mother to three children: Richard, 24, Caitlin, 17 and Andrew, 15.

Caitlin and Andrew lived with Tina in Tile Hill but since the breakdown, have lived with their dad. Richard had moved out previously.

The mum of three after she became homeless, she felt as though her own family members "shunned" her and she didn't receive much support.

"I just find it really embarrassing, asking people if I can sleep on their sofas, I feel like I'm getting in the way of their life," she explained.

"My friends have been really supportive but I still feel like a burden."

Tina said she has experienced a large number of problems being re-housed by Coventry City Council.

She said she was put in a hotel by the council, but due to other women in the property causing trouble, all women were kicked out, meaning herself and her five-year-old dog were once again left to live in a car.

"I wouldn't be alive without my dog. She keeps me going every day as I know I have to look after her", she said.

Since leaving the hotel, Tina has been shown some properties by the council which she could potentially move into.

However, after attending the pre-tenancy meeting and saying 'yes' to each property, Tina said she would be given an excuse by the council as to why she could not have it, or the property would be inadequate for her needs.

Tina claims this has happened to her multiple times in the last 18 months.

She is still waiting for a suitable property.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News