Second senior Tory to step down as councillor

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Second senior Tory to step down as councillor

Postby dutchman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 pm

But Cllr Tim Mayer has now thrown his hat into the ring to stand as MP

A second senior Tory councillor in Coventry has announced he is to step down from his role in May – and has now thrown his hat into the ring to stand for MP.

Westwood councillor Tim Mayer also cited work commitments and a desire to spend more time with his young family as factors in his decision to not stand for re-election next year.

The shadow cabinet member for city services becomes the second high-profile Conservative to announce they are to leave the council in May, following deputy leader Cllr Allan Andrews.

He revealed to the Local Democracy Reporting Service he would be “honoured” to stand as MP for Coventry South at the next election, if asked by the local Conservative group.

Long-standing Coventry South MP Jim Cunningham announced he is to step down at the next election on Monday.

In a letter to residents, Cllr Mayer said: “Residents will know that I have three children and work across the UK.

“The demands placed on a councillor, having to work full-time and spend many hours a week on council or community duties, have been achievable over the past four years but with a recent change of work, parliamentary ambition and family circumstances I don’t feel that I can commit to the level that I feel is needed.

“I believe that serving the council is an honour and needs continued refreshment.

“I’ve never wanted to be one of those councillors who stay for multiple terms, I believe we must allow and encourage new talent to emerge bringing fresh ideas and excitement.”

Cllr Mayer said he is “proud” of his record of councillor.

“I have been proud to hold our administration to account when errors have been made,” he said, highlighting the campaign to stamp out bullying, and fight to refund residents wrongly fined by the council’s bus gate and restricted parking zone schemes.

Cllr Mayer also cited preventing the closure of Canley Community Centre among his successes, introducing residents’ parking schemes where called for and fighting those where there had been opposition, and community initiative such as speed watches, road safety schemes and litter picks.

But he also highlighted being unable to halt the council’s Local Plan among his regrets, along with being unable to stop student developments at Marlar Road and Standard Avenue.

Cllr Mayer has served the opposition Shadow Cabinet since 2017 and committees including licensing, digital task and finish, and numerous scrutiny boards.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News