"Multi-million pound regeneration for rundown Coventry flats"

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: "Multi-million pound regeneration for rundown Coventry flats"

Postby Melisandre » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:48 pm

They must have plentry of time and money to waste.

If they have nt enough homes to to rehouse in time will they be doing the same as London is doing sending their tennants up to over 200 miles away to live and the local councils housing where they send them dont even know they have been dumping them on them until the tennant asks for some thing. All miss fits mainly white miss fits from London are being dumped in Bradford far away from their families.. Then these councils have no room to house their own so they have to dend their people to other areas. This was on a tv documentary recently.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:12 pm

Melisandre wrote:They must have plenty of time and money to waste.

It's just the way the Council/Whitefriars/Citizen have always done things and won't surprise anyone who has had past dealings with them.

For example some bright spark thought it would be a great idea to begin moving young families in September just as the new school year begins! :clown:

Melisandre wrote:If they have nt enough homes to rehouse in time will they be doing the same as London is doing sending their tennants up to over 200 miles away to live

My guess is they'll slow the whole rebuilding programme down until alternative accommodation can be found. The people who'll lose out are the ones that were previously top of the waiting list but will now be bumped down it. Everything was made worse by the premature decision to redevelop Wood End shopping centre and having to find new accommodation for everyone who lives there first.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:25 pm

Whitefriars/Citizen workmen were forced to break into one of the upstairs flats yesterday when a family became trapped inside. It makes you wonder what could have happened if there'd been a fire? I believe it's not the first it's happened either as many of the front door locks have been replaced. I suspect they planned to replace all of them eventually had the regeneration scheme not been cancelled.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:15 pm

Yes I do remember Dutchman when living under council housing how the council work.
Melisandre

Postby Melisandre » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:22 pm

dutchman wrote:Whitefriars/Citizen workmen were forced to break into one of the upstairs flats yesterday when a family became trapped inside. It makes you wonder what could have happened if there'd been a fire? I believe it's not the first it's happened either as many of the front door locks have been replaced. I suspect they planned to replace all of them eventually had the regeneration scheme not been cancelled.

We ve recently had new windows and doors fitted my grandson went to clean the windows starting upstairs to find he could nt open the big windows the safty catch to prevent kids falling out the windows is jamming or the window has dropped he said another fire risk so new does nt mean better . Never had trouble with any of the windows prior which was in for 22 years.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:48 am

The area as it was before the estate was built. The picture was taken in 1939 but the area was pretty much unchanged until 1967. On the left is Windsor Street with Glover Brothers garage (lower left) on the corner with Trafalgar Street. On the right is Meadow Street which exited through a passage way into Spon Street (top). Dominating the centre of the picture is the radiator works.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:22 pm

They've just installed a new roof on one of the flats which they're supposedly knocking down which casts some doubt on what Citizen/WM/Whitefriars' true intentions really are. Most people I've talked to - including some housing association employees - believe they will be converted to student flats.

Also complaints from residents still living on the estate of a lack of information from Citizen over current progress.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:18 am

I suspect that the student rush is coming to an end. Why would people want to pay expensive 'away from home' costs when it's been proven that it can be carried out online? Covid may well have seen the end of student cities. I wonder what they'll do with all those unoccupied flatlets? :stir:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:02 pm

I've never seen so many down-and-outs on the estate as recently. This is partly due to the presence of a soup-kitchen next to the primary school but doesn't explain the sudden increase. One suggestion is that abandoned flats are being used temporarily to house the homeless. It might also be there's a general increase in the city as a whole.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:38 pm

Just 57 families left on Coventry estate marked for demolition

There are just 57 families living on a Coventry housing estate marked for demolition.

Kerry House, Milestone House and Trafalgar House in Spon End will be flattened in 2023.

Re-homing of families living in the three housing blocks form the estate will be completed by the end of 2022.

The £12 million regeneration plans at Kerry House, Milestone House and Trafalgar House, described as a hotspot for anti-social behaviour and fly tipping, were first announced in 2019.

The flattened estate will be replaced by new homes by 2025, managed by Citizen housing association.

Citizen told CoventryLive this week that plans have not yet gone through planning and the application will be submitted after they have consulted with residents and partners.

Citizen’s director of regeneration, Kevin Roach, said: "There are 158 flats across Kerry, Milestone and Trafalgar House and we have so far successfully rehoused 101 of those. The rehousing process is going well and we are on schedule to complete this by the end of 2022."

dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News