Coventry trio jailed over 17 caravan thefts

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry trio jailed over 17 caravan thefts

Postby dutchman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Their crime spree took them across England and Wales

Three men from Coventry have been jailed following the theft of 17 caravans and five motor vehicles across England and Wales.

Curtis Beston and brothers Lennon and Liam McMahon all pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy to steal from another.

Beston, 25, of The Chantries, Hillfields, was handed a prison sentence of four-and-a-half years.

Lennon McMahon, 19, and Liam McMahon, 18, both of Southam Close, Canley, were ordered to serve four years and three-and-a-half years respectively at a young offenders’ institute.

The trio were sentenced at Chester Crown Court today, Friday 16 August.

They were all arrested by Cheshire Constabulary officers in Whitchurch shortly after 1am on Monday, May 20.

The Ford Transit van they were travelling in was pulled over as it looked like one that had been involved in the theft of caravans.

The van was subsequently seized and had cloned number plates, as well as having been stolen from the Coventry area.

Detective Constable Paul Matchett, who led Cheshire Constabulary’s investigation into the crime spree, said: “Curtis Beston and Lennon and Liam McMahon believed that they could escape justice by carrying out crimes far away from their homes in the dead of night.

“They used stolen vehicles or vehicles with no registered keeper to steal caravans from storage sites as far afield as North Wales.

“There are around 40 victims and the money they have lost between them in terms of the caravans stolen and damaged alone is approximately £360,000.

“Thankfully we were able to catch the trio during one of their trips to Cheshire and prove the extent of their crimes via our extensive subsequent enquiries.

“I am delighted that the trio are now behind bars facing the consequences of their actions and I want to thank everyone involved in the investigation for all their hard work in securing these convictions.

“I also want to acknowledge the support that we were given by other forces during the complex investigation and I hope that this case highlights the fact that offenders will be brought to justice no matter how far they travel to commit crimes.

“I also hope that the sentences handed down by Chester Crown Court deters others from committing similar crimes.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News