Road rage van driver jailed for driving at victim and chasing him with hammer

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Road rage van driver jailed for driving at victim and chasing him with hammer

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:13 pm

A ‘surge of rage’ following a near miss led a van driver to deliberately drive at another man on a Coventry car park and then chase him wielding a hammer

And Norman Brown was told by a judge at Warwick Crown Court: “You could easily have run him over and killed him.”

Brown (52) of Marina Close, Canley, Coventry, pleaded guilty to charges of dangerous driving and threatening a person with an offensive weapon.

He was jailed for a total of two-and-a-half years after Judge Barry Berlin had watched a shocking CCTV recording of the incident on the car park of the Go Outdoors store.

Describing the CCTV recording, the judge said: “You saw him get out of his car, and you deliberately drove your van at him at speed.

“He jumped out of the way just in time, but the van clipped his hip and shoulder.

“You then got out of your van and got a hammer out of the back of the van and ran at him twice with the hammer raised in a threatening manner.

“I have seen footage of you running at him at some speed to get to him as he ran away.”

Brown was jailed for 16 months for the dangerous driving, with a consecutive 14-month sentence for threatening Mr Ford with the hammer, and was banned from driving for five years and three months.

Judge Berlin told him: “The aggravating features of the dangerous driving are obvious – you deliberately aimed the van at the victim. You could easily have run him over and killed him.

“You have previous convictions for offences of reckless driving and assault and affray, although you have had no convictions for the past 11 years.”

“Anyone who comes in front of the court for a road-rage situation, and not only that but takes it to another level by taking a hammer out of the car, must expect a custodial sentence.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Road rage van driver jailed for driving at victim and chasing him with hammer

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:14 pm

Why did he have a hammer with him in the first place, other than he intended to attack someone with it? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Road rage van driver jailed for driving at victim and chasing him with hammer

Postby rebbonk » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:45 pm

I must admit, I'd assumed it was a work van and contained his tools. - I might be wrong...
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:50 pm

Ah, I misread it and assumed he was in a car! :oops:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News