WASPI women now get free bus travel

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

WASPI women now get free bus travel

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:06 pm

West Midlands women who lost out when their pension age was put back can now get free bus and tram travel

But a Coventry campaign co-ordinator says the new measure does not go far enough.

So-called ‘WASPI’ women (Women Against State Pension Inequality) who were born between March 6, 1954 and November 5, 1954 are now entitled to a Women’s Concessionary Travel Pass.

It means thousands of women across the West Midlands can get the bus – or catch the Metro – free of charge after 9.30am, Mondays to Fridays, and all day at weekends.

The pass also means WASPIs can buy a standard ticket on National Express West Midlands buses for just £1 before 9.30am – just as OAPs can.

And they can also take a child with them for £1.

When the government made changes to the state pension age in 2011, it forced many women born in the 1950s to wait up to six extra years to get their state pension.

Because the government did not give the standard 10 years’ notice of this change, it affected these women’s retirement plans.

Jess Phillips, the MP for Birmingham Yardley, has long supported the WASPI campaign. She said: “I am really pleased about this move. WASPI women have been badly let down, and this is an issue of fairness.

“I would urge all WASPI women to take advantage of this scheme. National Express work hard to make sure they are an integral part of our community and this initiative is a further example.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: WASPI women now get free bus travel

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:10 pm

What about all the MEN aged between 60 and 65 who also lost their concessionary travel passes at the same time as women? :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:55 pm

dutchman wrote:What about all the MEN aged between 60 and 65 who also lost their concessionary travel passes at the same time as women?

We remain forgotten Dutchman. This isn't equality. - I wonder if this can be challenged in the courts under equality legislation?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:31 pm

rebbonk wrote:I wonder if this can be challenged in the courts under equality legislation?

It would probably have the opposite effect to that intended in the same way that 'sex equality' was used as an excuse to scrap the Minimum Income Guarantee for both men and women aged between 60 and 65.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News