Coventry sides drawn against each other in FA Cup

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry sides drawn against each other in FA Cup

Postby dutchman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:38 am

The luck of the draw has pitted the two city rivals against each other

It will be the battle of Coventry when the FA Cup gets underway for the 2019/20 season.

Coventry Sphinx and Coventry United have been drawn against each other in the extra preliminary round of football's oldest knockout competition.

A crowd of up to 700 watched the last time these two rivals met in the Midland League Premier Division and it's hoped that could be topped in the FA Cup clash on Saturday, August 10.

Following today's draw, we spoke with both clubs to get some reaction ahead of the local derby.

Coventry Sphinx's chairman Dannie Cahill described the fixture on August 10 as "fantastic", adding: "Obviously they are rivals of ours and only finished above us last season by a single digit goal difference - that's football.

"The game is great for the city of Coventry and we are hoping for a big gate.

"The FA Cup is a great experience for the football club and can hopefully heighten our profile even more.

"Hopefully there will be some smiley faces come 5pm that day."

Dannie says when the two clubs met in the league last Christmas they had 600-700 through the turnstiles and he hopes the FA Cup factor could see that bettered this time around.

Peter Reynolds, chairman of Coventry United, said: "I got a flurry of excited texts from various people in the club asking had I seen the draw.

"I had a wry smile on my face. We got promoted three years ago and had the upper hand for a while over them, but they've had the better of it recently, so hopefully we can redress that.

"It could be quite tasty."

He added "I think for every club at this level the money [from the FA Cup] is significant and we do only budget for one round."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News