Police step up patrols after spate of attacks against Chinese students

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Police step up patrols after spate of attacks against Chinese students

Postby dutchman » Fri May 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Students have been offered alternative accommodation and shuttle buses have been provided

Police are set to increase their patrols in Canley after a spate of attacks on Chinese students living in the city.

A number of Chinese students studying at the University of Warwick have reported attacks on them in recent weeks to both police and the university themselves - which has described the incidents as "troubling".

And the West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner has pledged to increase patrols in the area, in order to treat it "as a priority".

Along with the increased police presence, the university has confirmed that it has introduced a shuttle bus service for its students, as well as offering alternative accommodation to some students affected.

This morning, BBC Coventry and Warwickshire revealed that a number of Chinese students have complained they have been the victims of hate crime in the Canley area.

One student interviewed revealed that she had even been bitten in an attack at accommodation in that area. She said: "I was scared to go out by myself, even to reception.

"I had friends, if I wanted to go buy some food or something like that, I'd ask them to accompany me."

Another student, Lee, also a Chinese student studying at the university, said: "What we are concerned right now about is how should the Chinese and other international students be safely studying around the University of Warwick.

"This is not the first time the same kind of hate crime happened. It's also about our property as well as our personal lives.

"It's a really very serious issue. Generally speaking, there are more than 13 people who have experienced the same kind of problem."

The West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner, David Jamieson, said: “The recent attacks on Chinese students attending the University of Warwick are shocking and appalling.

“These young people travel half the way around the world and pay a lot of money to learn from the brightest minds our country has to offer. They also contribute significant amounts to the local economy.

“They have a right to do so without their safety being compromised.

“I’d like to reassure all the students that West Midlands Police will increase patrols and I will also raise this matter with senior officers to ensure it is treated as a priority.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News