People could soon be living in flat pack houses in Coventry

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

People could soon be living in flat pack houses in Coventry

Postby dutchman » Wed May 08, 2019 7:17 pm

The houses are expected to be connected to mains services in June

People will soon be living in "flat pack" houses on a new estate in Coventry.

The two-bedroom and three-bedroom houses are being constructed at Totally Modular in Birmingham and, once completed, will be transported more than 30 miles to the new development in Littlethorpe, Willenhall.

The houses are expected to be connected to mains services in June.

And, if the pilot proves to be successful, it could lead to many more being constructed across Coventry and the wider region.

So far, steel structures have been built, the walls have been added and the ceilings have been craned onto the structures.

The WM Housing Group’s first modular housing development is being built in partnership with Totally Modular and Coventry City Council.

Cabinet member for Housing and Communities at Coventry City Council, Ed Ruane, said: “This is a great project and could really help tackle demand for housing across Coventry.

“The homes can be built incredibly quickly and transported to site in a short space of time too.

“It’s great to be working with WM Housing Group and Totally Modular in tackling the housing shortage across Coventry.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: People could soon be living in flat pack houses in Coventry

Postby Melisandre » Wed May 08, 2019 8:17 pm

I wonder how they the tenants will get on insurance wise.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Wed May 08, 2019 8:33 pm

...Ruane, said...

I really don't like this guy: he strkes me as an arrogant k**b. One of the reasons that Coventry has a housing crisis is because Ruane brought in yet more immigrants.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Wed May 08, 2019 8:36 pm

Every one of these cheap-quick building schemes has proved to be a disaster in the long run. :fuming:

I'd also like to know why the council is subsidising an organisation it previously sold off in order to avoid further subsidies? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:51 pm

Homeless family first in to 'pre-fab' homes in Coventry

NEW tenants are set to move into two of Coventry’s modular factory-assembled homes – hailed as a way to fight the homelessness crisis.

The homes – much like post-war prefabricated housing – were constructed in a factory and transported by truck to Coventry.

And the completed Littlethorpe development means new residents will be moving into a new two-bedroom and three-bedroom home in Willenhall, Coventry, over the next few weeks.

One of the first to secure tenancy is Hammedali Dair who is moving in from his temporary accommodation provided by the Salvation Army.

He said: “I have seen inside the house and it is amazing, it was a huge relief when I was told that I could have it.

“I feel really great to be the first person to live here as everything will be new and only used by me.

“I am so excited to move in and make it my own.”

Hammedali will be living in the property with his wife, Zuhur, and son, Murad.

The properties will have many benefits which include reduced fuel bills and excellent energy ratings, developers claim.

A ribbon cutting ceremony was held to mark the completion and officials were given a chance to have a look around the properties.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News