Grandad, 72, is victim of horrifying knifepoint carjacking in Coventry

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Grandad, 72, is victim of horrifying knifepoint carjacking in Coventry

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:26 pm

The pensioner says he has been left "very shaken"

A grandfather was carjacked in Coventry at knifepoint after popping out to buy fish and chips.

Christopher Glenn Smith had just parked up his car in Radford when he was approached by a masked man who ordered him to hand over his keys.

The 71-year-old, known as Glenn, at first refused, but after the carjacker said "I don't want to hurt you", the pensioner decided to play it safe and handed over the keys to his Seat Leon.

The incident happened in Thamley Road at around 8.30pm on Monday night (March 18) after the thief and his accomplices had arrived at the scene in a black Audi.

The crime is the latest carjacking in March which has seen a over 30 reported incidents so far this month.

Glenn said: "I was getting some fish and chips from Harry's Haddocks in Barkers Butts Lane and there was nowhere to park out the front, so I went round the side of William Hill in to Thamley Road.

"I parked up and saw a car pull up behind me but thought nothing of it. I was immediately confronted by this tall guy in a hoodie with a scarf over his mouth.

"He threatened me to give him the car keys. I said 'Why? What are you going to do?'. He again told me to give him the keys and to get away from the car, and I again said I wouldn't.

"Then he said 'I don't want to hurt you'. I'm nearly 72, so I just gave him the keys and he shot off [in my car]."

Glenn says that a woman who witnessed the incident and apparently caught it on CCTV said that the carjacker had a knife, although Glenn didn't see it himself.

Police were called and officers arrived shortly after and took Glenn home before taking a statement from him.

The grandfather admitted the ordeal has left him "very shaken" and feeling sick, and added: "My family has been very kind, as has everybody, and they have all said I did the right thing.

"You can replace a car but not a person. Everyone has said the main thing is you are safe."

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Grandad, 72, is victim of horrifying knifepoint carjacking in Coventry

Postby rebbonk » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Descriptions? - Of course not! :fuming:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to News