Man fined £50 - for feeding seagulls in Coventry park

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Man fined £50 - for feeding seagulls in Coventry park

Postby dutchman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Two council officers told him he was littering

A baffled dog walker says he has been left “shocked and hurt” after being fined £50 for feeding bread to seagulls at a Coventry park.

Ergun Sahillioglu, 55, took a loaf of bread to feed the birds with his wife Karen and dog Lottie at Hearsall Common, in Earlsdon, on January 29.

But to his amazement he was slapped with a fixed penalty notice by two onlooking council officers, who accused him of littering.

Mr Sahiligoglu, who works at the University Hospital Coventry as a Ophthalmic Technician, said: “I went for a walk to Hearsall Common as we always do.

“Because of the weather forecast I bought a loaf of wholemeal bread for the birds and then tore little pieces for them to eat.

“Once it was finished I put the bag in my pocket.

“I saw two people running at us so I went towards them as I thought they needed help. The lady said ‘do not deny it, we saw you littering’.

“I said I was not I was feeding the birds but she insisted on a fixed penalty notice and asked for my details so I gave her my driving licence.

“I said there are no signs and the seagulls have eaten all the pieces.

“I said am I a criminal now? She said no but if you do not pay you will have a criminal record and could be taken to court.”

Mr Sahiligoglu paid the fine two days later, but has been trying to contact the council to be reimbursed.

He added: “I paid the fine as it was like a dark cloud hanging over my head.

“I have had fines before in the past for parking and things and paid it as it was fair. This time I know it was unfair. I feel like I am being bullied.

“All I would like is a reimbursement because there were no signs. The lady could have cautioned me but she didn’t.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Man fined £50 - for feeding seagulls in Coventry park

Postby dutchman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Update on man fined £50 - for feeding birds at city park

A man fined £50 for feeding bread to seagulls in a Coventry park has been given his money back by the council after it was dubbed a "staggering overreaction".

Ergun Sahillioglu was left "shocked and hurt" after he was fined for feeding a loaf of bread to the birds at Hearsall Common, in Earlsdon, on January 29.

Onlooking council officers accused the 55-year-old of littering, despite there being no signs informing him he was committing an offence.

Now the authority has done a u-turn, agreeing to refund his money.

But the authority is still classing feeding the birds as littering - and will be installing signs in parks where it is not allowed.

Mr Sahillioglu, who said he was taught to feed the seagulls by his late father to help relieve stress, said he "will carry on with my father's traditional meditation".

A spokesman for the council added: "We have agreed to refund Mr Sahillioglu as a gesture of goodwill.

"We will also re-look at our signage to ensure that areas where we have problems with bird feeding are clearly signed.

"We will also look to update our website to make it clear that feeding the birds can be classed as littering - especially if there is an excess amount of food."

Mr Sahillioglu received a letter from the council yesterday (Wednesday, February 13) notifying him of the refund.

The council has not confirmed whether it will be an offence to feed the birds in Hearsall Common yet.

The locations of the signs warning against feeding birds are yet to be agreed.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Man fined £50 - for feeding seagulls in Coventry park

Postby Melisandre » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:42 pm

I assume this couple has never been attact by seagulls then. I have seen an 8 yea old lad open his chips and a large flock of seagulls has attacked him pecking at his head and hands which I had to rescue the lad by pulling him into our caravan it's a frequent thing in Cornwall and most seaside towns now and locals blame the tourist for feeding them Even I had a fight with a seagull it lifted my tiddyoggins (Cornish Pasty) off the table but I won :yellow_grin: . The fine should of stayed imo.
Melisandre

Return to News