Boro manager departs after just TWO matches

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Boro manager departs after just TWO matches

Postby dutchman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:27 pm

The club says a new appointment will be made before Saturday's game

Nuneaton Borough’s boss has left the club after a reign of just two games.

It has been announced that Lee Fowler, who only took over as manager on Thursday, November 22, has left the club by "mutual consent".

Fowler had only been in the hot seat for two weeks and that included two matches; a 3-0 FA Trophy defeat away to Brackley Town and a 3-1 home defeat to Blythe Spartans in the league.

But the club says it expects to announce a new manager ahead of the trip to Darlington on Saturday.

Chairman Nick Hawkins said: "We were hoping for an immediate lift when Lee took over as manager, unfortunately, despite his best efforts, it hasn't happened.

"He's a great motivator, a very good coach and has been a pleasure to work with day in, day out.

"He's a fantastic individual and will be a great asset for whichever club he goes to next."

He went on: “On behalf of the club we wish Lee every success in his future, he has a lot to offer and I know he'll bounce back from this.

"We all know how difficult a task it has been here and people have seen his effort and application, that he doesn't fold under pressure and that whatever the circumstance, he just knuckles down and gets on with things.

"In the right conditions he'll thrive, we're very disappointed to be losing him."

Lee Fowler took over as manager from Nicky Eaden, who he had been assistant to since the summer.

When the pair came in the club had virtually no staff in place and had to build a squad two months after their counterparts had concluded their pre-season plans.

Fowler was keen to thank the club for its support but said it was time to 'move forward'.

"I want to thank Nick for the opportunity that he gave me, I have been humbled by the support of the staff and the fans since I've been at the club," he said.

"Managers and players come and go but the club is always bigger than any individual and considering how close we came to losing the club, I'm proud to have been part of what was achieved in keeping the Boro afloat.

"I've worked under extremely difficult circumstances and have continually given my all, but, after discussions with Nick, we felt it was best to move forward to try and keep the club in the division with a new appointment."

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Boro manager departs after just TWO matches

Postby dutchman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:42 pm

This is the new manager set to be unveiled tonight

Jimmy Ginnelly is set to be announced as the new manager of Nuneaton Borough, CoventryLive understands.

The National League North club parted company with temporary boss Lee Fowler earlier this afternoon and reports suggest that this evening the Boro will formally announce Nuneaton resident Ginnelly as their new boss.

It will end Ginnelly's long association with Barwell Football Club which began in 2010 and has seen them consistently punch above their weight in both the Southern and Northern Premier Division.

The 55-year-old cut his managerial teeth at Stockingford AA before leading Atherstone Town following their rebirth in 2004, achieving multiple promotions and cup wins for the Sheepy Road club.

Ginnelly has regularly been linked with managing his hometown club, saying it was his 'dream' to sit in the home dug out at Liberty Way.

Following the departure of Tommy Wright in October 2017, former assistant manager at the Boro, Ron Bradbury, said 'the time was right' for Ginnelly to get the job.

"When I’m asked now about Jimmy getting the job I say ‘why not?’" he said.

"Like I said, a couple of years ago I would’ve thought differently.

“But when you look at it, he’s a Nuneaton guy. He’s served his apprenticeship. Why not let him have a crack at it?”

A poll on CoventryLive agreed with Bradbury as 72 per cent voted in favour of him getting the role, but Boro looked elsewhere.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Boro manager departs after just TWO matches

Postby dutchman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Boro chairman quits with club in danger of going bust

Nuneaton Borough Football Club’s chairman has stood down after just over three months in the post.

Nick Hawkins has announced that he is leaving the troubled club, which sits rock bottom of National League North.

A desperate search is now on to find ten investors to come forward, form a consortium and save the club from going bust.

It is understood that Boro boss Jimmy Ginnelly has been entrusted with the shares with the view of finding the ten investors, who will need to stump up around£10,000 each.

This is believed to be enough money to see the club out until the end of the season.

But the ten would have to be rolling investors to the club and pay another £10,000 each next season unless a buyer can be found.
Club statement

In a statement, Nuneaton Boro said: "Having taken the club as far as he could, since taking control in the autumn, Mr Hawkins has decided the future of the club would be best served in the hands of people from Nuneaton.

"The shares in Borough Leisure Ltd, the parent company of the club, will be held in trust by manager Jimmy Ginnelly until new shareholders can be found.

"The club is completing a prospectus for interested parties and will be aiming to find 10 backers, who will take 10 per cent shares each for a rolling payment of £10,000 each season.

"The finer details will be available, upon request, to all interested parties.

"He (Hawkins) will not be listed as a creditor and does not hold any director loans to be repaid.

It concludes: "The club would like to thank Mr Hawkins for his hard work and wish him the best for his future endeavours."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News