Female runners warned over masked man incident in Coventry

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Female runners warned over masked man incident in Coventry

Postby dutchman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:05 pm

It was a terrifying ordeal for the lone female

A woman has spoken of the terrifying moment a masked man began following her as she ran alone in Coventry.

The woman, who does not wish to be identified, was left shaken but otherwise unhurt following the incident near Earlsdon on November 1.

The man only stopped chasing her when she reached a pub where people were standing outside.

Now the runner wants others to be warned of the dangers.

She said: "I was running through Earlsdon just after 7pm and was followed by a man wearing a hooded baseball jacket and a balaclava.

"I was running with my running club but set off on my own to do a few more miles.

"When I got to the railway bridge near the Farmhouse restaurant, I noticed someone walking in front of me.

"Once I passed him coming from Beechwood Avenue, I was aware he had in fact started running too.

"I picked up my pace but I heard his pace and just kept running.

"I then stopped and turned around and he stopped. I thought then something wasn't right.

"I stared straight at him then he went away. I saw a few people outside the pub so I went over towards that.

"I was just panicking at the time and my heart was pounding. I've never been through anything like that."

The runner wants this incident to be a warning to others.

She added: "I know I need to go back to the location at some point.

"It is like something you fear until you relive it.

"People have said to me to carry something with me, but I will not run as a victim.

"I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

"I just want people to be warned and to know the dangers."

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Female runners warned over masked man incident in Coventry

Postby rebbonk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Never ceases to amaze me how many young women walk/run along the canal with ear-buds in. They'd be an easy target for those with malicious intent.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Female runners warned over masked man incident in Coventry

Postby Melisandre » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:12 pm

Yes thought the same my self Rebbonk when they are listening to music with ear phones in and the if some one did intend to attack them they would have plenty of cover from the Red Hills to hide. Even when I trundle along in my wheel chair along the canal I can not even hear cyclist coming up behind me.
Melisandre

Return to News