Why some residents are "too scared" to use this Coventry park

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Why some residents are "too scared" to use this Coventry park

Postby dutchman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:43 pm

A petition is now calling on the council to gate off an alleyway to tackle the problem

A group of Coventry residents say they feel "too scared" to use a local park because of anti-social behaviour and drug taking in the adjoining alley.

A petition signed by 10 residents called on the council to gate the alleyway between Freeman Street and Red House Park, in Foleshill, to tackle the problem.

At a meeting of the Cabinet Member for Policing and Equalities, one resident said she was left feeling "too scared to go through that entry day or night".

Another resident, Hareman Abdullah, said: "We have had people leaving rubbish and other people coming to this area selling drugs, leaving needles everywhere.

"They chuck everything in the garden - glass and everything. I cannot take my kids to the garden as I'm too scared. I found a syringe in my garden."

Residents say the alley has now become a fly-tipping hotspot.

Street Enforcement Manager Simon Hutt said: "We have done two or three site visits and the only litter we have seen is at the end at the entrance to Red House Park, which is not connected to the alleyway.

"It is a public right of way."

The council recorded 31 incidents of flytipping related to Freeman Street from July 2017 to July 2018 - including 20 from council officers who patrol the area at least once a week.

Street Enforcement Manager Martin McHugh added: "What I suggest is to make sure you keep referring stuff to police, go onto the Neighbourhood Watch.

"As soon as we have got the evidence we can say we can spend money putting a camera here or something.

"Without that evidence we really struggle as other places to take priority unfortunately."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News