Businesses in Allesley forced to close after electrical fire

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Businesses in Allesley forced to close after electrical fire

Postby dutchman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:54 pm

The fire brigade put out the fire in an electrics cabinet by 7.25am

Picture by Holly Osborn

Shops in Allesley have been forced to close this morning after an electrical fire on Winsford Avenue.

An electrics cabinet set on fire, causing a blackout at homes and businesses around the junction with Whitaker Avenue.

The fire brigade was called to the fire at 6.54am.

West Midlands Fire service said: "We sent a crew from Canley to the scene with five firefighters, and they put out the fire by 7.25am.

"It was a fire in an electrical junction box on the corner of Whitaker Avenue, in the cables.

"We made the scene safe and isolated the power."

Sharon Bestard, the director of Stoke Bakery on Winsford Avenue, said: "There was a big bang at about 7am, there was an electrical fire so now there is no electricity - we can't even open the shutters.

"My husband was there at the time.

"I've got staff waiting around to work, I've got fresh goods like cream, sausage and bacon that will all go to a loss.

"It's a very costly day really."

A spokesperson for Western Power Distribution said: "A piece of our equipment called a Link Box failed - initially that affected around 130 customers, we have managed to reduce that to 50.

"We have engineers on site working to sort the issue, and we expect power to resume around 4pm."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News