Switch to full style
Local, national, international and oddball news stories
Write comments

Vandal damages cars at junior football game

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:01 pm

The dashcam footage has been passed to police

This is the moment a vandal was caught on camera scratching cars in a Coventry street.

A number of cars were damaged in Chace Avenue, near to the police station, while their owners were watching a junior football match nearby.

And when one victim checked his dashcam he had crystal-clear footage of the culprit at work.

Someone who has seen the video also claim they know who the vandal is and have passed the information to police.

But despite the incident happening a month ago and police having been given the footage and information, no arrests have been made.

This has led to another of the victims speaking out about what happened.

A proud parent was watching his child play in a junior football game on pitches behind Chace Avenue police station.

He said a total of eight cars were attacked and he has been quoted over £1,000 to repair the damage to his car.

The man, who did not wish to be named, told CoventryLive : "We were all parked opposite the police station and about halfway through the game one parent said some cars had been scratched and when we got back to the cars - there were about eight in a row - someone had keyed them all.

"We all contacted police and one lad's grandad said he had a dashcam and he's got the guy bang to rights.

"I sent it to the opposition coach who recognised him and we sent it all to police.

"They have had a copy of the video and done bugger all with it."

He added: "I'm not expecting anyone to pay for the damage to my car, but there's lots of little kids here and it's their parents' cars.

"You come out on a Sunday morning and someone just decides to do this."

Re: Vandal damages cars at junior football game

Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:05 pm

I in no way condone this, but maybe, just maybe, the guy is fed up of having to navigate his way around cars parked half on the pavement?

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:58 pm

The criminal has been in court over the Christmas period

A vandal caught on camera scratching a number of cars in Coventry has confessed to his crimes.

Parents were watching their children play in a junior football game when Ian Finnie struck and caused over £4,000 worth of damage.

When the victims returned to their vehicles parked in Chace Avenue, near to the police station, they discovered the damage - but also that they had the culprit caught in the act on one of their dashcams.

The crystal-clear footage eventually led to Finnie being charged with criminal damage and he appeared at Coventry Magistrates' Court on December 27.

The 28-year-old, of Capulet Close, Willenhall, pleaded guilty to four counts of causing criminal damage to the cars and was ordered to pay total of £1,256 in compensation to his four victims.

Finnie was subject to a suspended sentence at the time of the offences for common assault, racial harassment and assaulting a police officer, but that was not activated and instead he had a four-week curfew imposed from 7pm to 7am.

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:18 pm

All things considered, he got away very lightly.

I wonder if a private case for damages (assuming he has the means to pay) would now be in order?
Write comments