"Gangs team launched by police to fight Coventry crimewave"

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

"Gangs team launched by police to fight Coventry crimewave"

Postby dutchman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:21 pm

A team of detectives has been put together to help bust gangs on the streets of Coventry

The news comes as the city is caught in the midst of a crimewave that has seen a number of stabbings and shootings already in September.

The most high-profile was the fatal stabbing of Fidel Glasgow, the grandson of Coventry ska legend Neville Staple, who died after being found injured outside Club M on September 1.

The past two weeks have also seen two other stabbings and a shooting - the latter happened in Far Gosford Street - which left four other people in hospital.

In the wake of the crimewave, CoventryLive asked people how safe they feel in Coventry.

Of the 500 or so people who voted in poll, only 21 per cent said they feel safe in the city.

We also called on West Midlands Police to let the city know what it is doing to fight back against criminals.

And now one of Coventry's top coppers has said he "completely understands" why people are worried after the recent upsurge in violent crime.

Superintendent Phil Healy stated that "one gun or knife-related crime is one too many" and also revealed that a "dedicated gangs team" has been set up within Coventry Police.

Supt Healy, from Coventry Police, said: “We have seen several violent incidents take place in Coventry so far this month which have resulted in some serious injuries and one man losing his life.

“I know the community is worried and I completely understand why, because one gun or knife-related crime is one too many.

"No amount of police work can fully repair the damage caused to the victims, families and communities that are affected whenever a knife is pulled or a shot is fired.

“Let me reassure you that behind the scenes we have highly-skilled detectives working to investigate the recent violent crimes, following up leads, identifying suspects and taking the necessary action.

"We also have a dedicated gangs team that work hard to identify, arrest and convict those affiliated to gangs."

Yeah, right! :rolling:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: "Gangs team launched by police to fight Coventry crimewave"

Postby rebbonk » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:50 pm

This is yet another 'believe it when you see the results' scheme for me.

If we paid these high ranking officers by results you can bet that things would change pretty quickly and there'd be a lot less bleating about funding.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to News