Coventry couple attacked by robber wielding axe during horrifying attack

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry couple attacked by robber wielding axe during horrifying attack

Postby dutchman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:52 pm

A robber wielding an axe allegedly cut a Coventry woman’s face during a horrifying attack

Police are appealing for the public to come forward with information.

The incident took place on Cope Arnolds Close, Longford, Coventry.

Jaime Kelly and her partner Kirk Matthews had jewellery stolen after the traumatic robbery.

Tammy Jolene Kelly, Jaime’s sister, says the couple’s niece, 4, was left covered in blood after her father was assaulted with hammers and her mother was sliced with the axe.

West Midlands Police said: “Police are investigating after a man and woman were hit with an axe during a robbery.

“The pair, both aged in their 30s, were treated for injuries which were not serious. Jewellery was taken and enquiries are on-going.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry couple attacked by robber wielding axe during horrifying attack

Postby dutchman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:17 pm

Axe and hammer attack burglary victim speaks out: 'No dad should see 3-year-old covered in blood'

A VICTIM has spoken of a terrifying axe attack in his family’s home when his partner had her face slashed in front of their children while he was hit with hammers.

Kirk Mathews, 33, and his partner Jaime Kelly, 30, have demanded justice after three masked men stormed into their house at around 8.30pm on Thursday last week (September 13).

The couple live on Cope Arnolds Close, Longford, Coventry, with their four young children, and we reported on the incident yesterday.

Kirk told the Observer today he fears for his family’s safety and said his kids should never have had to witness such violence.

He said he and Jaime suffered cuts and bruises and his three-year-old daughter was left covered in blood after being comforted by Jaime, who had a cut on her face.

Kirk said: “We had just put the little ones to bed. Me and my girlfriend were on the sofa watching Emmerdale and we look up and three men holding weapons, with balaclavas and gloves on, have come into the house.

“One of the men, with a grey tracksuit on, shouted ‘Where’s the money?’ and punched me.

“The men dragged me to the floor and started hitting me with hammers.

“I could see them punching Jaime in the face – a couple of times – and then one of them ran upstairs to look for money.

“And Jaime ran upstairs shouting ‘not my kids’. But he was stronger than her and pushed his axe into her face as she tried to stop him.”

Kirk says he saw two bikes when he got outside to get help. He described one as ‘high powered’ and red – like a superbike.

he said there was another accomplice waiting outside but he could not see any more bikes.

He believes the robbers – who only managed to seize jewellery – must have been known to them, due to being familiar with the house.

Since the incident, Kirk says he has bought CCTV and is locking all the doors.

“Jaime is not coping well at all. She is waking up, jumping in the night, every half an hour,” he continued.

“She said to me ‘I just want this to stop.’ She is having nightmares. It got to me.

“We have to think about our kids’ safety.”

Kirk – who owns a repair work business – is calling for more support from the police.

He said: “Police came out and took one statement and we haven’t heard anything since.

“I’m angry. A woman who works in a nearby Londis shop said just before the incident happened there were four men on bikes.

“We just want the police to check the CCTV.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:34 pm

They will probably get away with it unless the public intervenes. We have a new system here, no more coppers on the beat. There has been an appeal for members of the public to walk the streets in pairs. If anything a bit iffy is seen then it must be noted in a little book, supplied. Every four weeks a policeman will visit and the contents of the little books will be discussed The policeman will also talk to local people to discus their concerns. The scheme is called 'Have a Cuppa with a Copper'.
Crime around here has rocketed with break ins and car thefts occurring daily. At least we will have something to talk about when we have a 'Cuppa with a Copper'
Jock Strapp

Postby dutchman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:26 pm

That's shocking Jock but doean't entirely surprise me. :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:38 am

I don't think that its just us Dutchman. It was councillor Bally Singh that launched the scheme here and have no doubt that it has been introduced elsewhere.
Jock Strapp

Return to News