Armed robbers threaten staff at post office with gun and crowbar

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Armed robbers threaten staff at post office with gun and crowbar

Postby dutchman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Three masked robbers demanded the key to the safe and left with cash

Armed robbers have attacked a post office on the outskirts of Coventry, taking cash in a mid-afternoon raid.

Three masked men entered the Binley Woods Post Office on Woodlands Road at 4.40pm yesterday, threatening staff with a gun and a crowbar.

They demanded the key to the safe and left with a quantity of cash, including foreign currency.

Warwickshire Police believe a silver saloon type vehicle was involved in the incident and are appealing for anyone with dashcam footage who was around Woodlands Road at the time of the incident to contact police.

Witnesses can call 101 quoting incident 299 of 4 August 2018. Alternatively, information can be provided anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Armed robbers threaten staff at post office with gun and crowbar

Postby dutchman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:28 pm

Postmaster may have to pay back cash stolen in armed robbery

A postmaster has been warned he could be forced to pay the Post Office thousands of pounds after an armed robbery at his store.

The Post Office did write to the Coventry postmaster asking for a cheque for £66,000 if he admitted liability after robbers got away with £12,000 when they threatened staff with a gun.

Bosses have since apologised to the postmaster after admitting the £66,000 was an error - but he could still be ordered to pay for losses stemming from the robbery if he is found to have breached security poilcies.

Shailesh Patel had stepped out of his Post Office in Binley Woods in August when three masked men entered and threatened a staff member with a gun and a crowbar.

A total of £12,057 was taken, but things would get worse for Mr Patel, with a letter arriving from the Post Office in mid October.

Sent from a Post Office manager, the letter invited Mr Patel to a meeting to "finally decide if there is any financial liability on (his) part".

It went on to say that should Mr Patel accept liability for the cash lost in the robbery, he would be instructed to post a cheque to the Post Office for an eye watering sum of £66,000.

Speaking to CoventryLive, Mr Patel said: "Where am I going to get that money?

"I'm losing business, I'm locking the door after 6pm, and only letting people in if I can see their face.

"Before this, I'd never even had a chocolate bar stolen from me."

The Post Office has since confirmed to CoventryLive that the £66,000 figure given to Mr Patel was incorrect, and has apologised for this.

However, a spokesperson would not confirm the actual amount that Mr Patel might be liable to pay.

On September 21, four men from Coventry were arrested on suspicion of robbery in connection with the incident.

All four have since been released under investigation.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News