Former Coventry City man takes over at Nuneaton

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Former Coventry City man takes over at Nuneaton

Postby dutchman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Nicky Eaden is the new manager at Liberty Way as Gary Charles claims he found out on social media

Former Coventry City coach Nicky Eaden has been appointed as Nuneaton's new manager - with Gary Charles claiming he learned of his sacking on Twitter.

Nuneaton confirmed yesterday that Eaden was returning to the club where he previously had a stint as caretaker boss.

But the Vanarama National League North club were forced to issue a statement clarifying the situation after Charles insisted he had not been informed of his departure.

Charles took to social media to say: "Found out through Twitter that I am no longer manager at Nuneaton FC.

"Not had any contact with the chairman to let me know so I just want to say thank you to the fans for your fantastic support, to the players and staff I wish you all the best for future. Gary."

Charles also played for Nottingham Forest, Derby County, Benfica and West Ham, as well as loan spells at Birmingham City and Leicester City.

In response to the tweet from Charles, Nuneaton issued a statement on their club website to clarify the situation about the change of manager.

"In the light of the recent announcement of Nicky Eaden as the club's new Manager, Nuneaton Town have clarified the status of Gary Charles' position whilst with the club.

"Gary never had a contract and was working for the club on an informal basis to guide them through to the end of the season.

"We believed that the situation was clear and regret that it has led to such confusion. We'd like to thank Gary for his time and wish him all of the best for the future."

Eaden is back at Liberty Way having previously been a caretaker manager at the club.

The former Birmingham City full-back was at Coventry from July 2016 to September last year as the under-23s development coach.

He was recruited from Rotherham as part of Tony Mowbray's backroom staff, but left to be Jack Lester's assistant boss at Chesterfield.

Eaden also had a spell as interim first-team coach during Mark Venus’s brief tenure as City manager before returning to his previous role.

"The time felt right to take the next step and become a manager, and this opportunity was perfect for me," said Eaden.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News