Two-year-old dies in car crash as mum fights for life

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Two-year-old dies in car crash as mum fights for life

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Crowd 'lifted car off toddler' after fatal crash

Shocked crowds lifted a car off the tiny body of a two-year-old killed in a fatal crash in Coventry last night, according to a witness.

The toddler and his mother had been visiting family when the collision occurred in Stoney Stanton Road, Foleshill, at around 9pm.

The mother is still fighting for her life in hospital, but nothing could be done to save her young son.

Surinder Kaur, who lives on Stoney Stanton Road, said she was watching television in her living room when she heard a loud bang and screaming.

She said: “I came out of my house and I could see clothes all over the road and then I saw the baby underneath the car.

“A lot of people came out of their houses. I shouted for someone to help. I think everyone was in shock.

“Someone brought out blankets and some people lifted the car and placed the baby on the blanket.”The collision occurred around 9pm on Stoney Stanton Road in Foleshill.

The driver of a Volkswagen Bora involved in the collision stopped at the scene and a 39-year-old man, the driver of the vehicle, is assisting police with enquiries.

Stoney Stanton Road was closed for several hours while emergency services attended the scene and investigators probed the circumstances of the crash.

The two-year-old was taken to hospital with severe injuries but could not be revived and died a short time later.

His mum, aged 32, suffered multiple fractures and remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Three other siblings were unhurt.

Anyone with information can contact the collision investigation unit on 101 or by email FL_INVESTIGATION_INVEST@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk quoting reference 2460 08/04/18

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Two-year-old dies in car crash as mum fights for life

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Driver appears in court over death of two-year-old boy

A driver will stand trial later this year over the death of a two-year-old boy.

The toddler and his mother had been visiting family when they were struck by a Volkswagen Bora in Stoney Stanton Road in April last year.

Two-year-old Umar Akhalwaya was taken to hospital with severe injuries but could not be revived and died a short time later.

His mother, aged 32, suffered multiple fractures.

Umar's three other siblings were unhurt.

The driver of the Bora, Mohmood Abid, pleaded not guilty to three counts at Warwick Crown Court on Friday February 1.

He entered not guilty pleas to the following counts:

• Death by dangerous driving
  • Causing serious injury by dangerous driving
  • Causing death where driving uninsured
Abid will go on trial on August 19.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Two-year-old dies in car crash as mum fights for life

Postby dutchman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:29 am

Man jailed over Coventry toddler death crash

An uninsured driver who killed a two-year-old boy and seriously injured his mother has been jailed.

Umar Akhalwaya and his mother Hawa were were struck in Stoney Stanton Road, Coventry on 8 April 2018.

Abid Mohmood, 41, of Coventry, admitted causing death by dangerous driving, causing serious injury by dangerous driving and causing death by driving whilst uninsured.

He was imprisoned for seven years and two months at Warwick Crown Court.

Ms Akhalwaya and her children had left a relative's address and crossing the road to where their car was parked when they were struck, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said.

Mohmood, a married father, was speeding at 59mph in a 30mph road, when he hit the pair, the CPS added.

They suffered serious injuries and were taken to hospital, where the toddler died.

Mohmood, who remained at the scene after the crash, originally denied all three counts against him but later changed his plea.

Jason Corden-Bowen from the CPS said: "Despite denying this offence, Mohmood never put forward a case other than to say he did not think his driving was dangerous.

"He only changed his plea on the day of trial, adding to the pain he has already inflicted on Hawa and her family.

"The loss they have described is heart-wrenching and our thoughts are with them all at this time."

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News