Young man suffers broken jaw in violent gang attack outside his home

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Young man suffers broken jaw in violent gang attack outside his home

Postby dutchman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 pm

Joseph Hughes, 20, was beaten up by four men

A young man was left with horrific injuries including a broken jaw and eye sockets after being beaten outside his home by four men.

Joseph Hughes had just returned home from playing pool at the pub when he was attacked by the gang in what police have called a “very violent, unprovoked attack”.

The 20-year-old was kicked in the head outside his home in Burnaby Road, Coventry, at around 10.45pm on Tuesday night.

He is now set to undergo surgery to help hold his jaw in place, while his other injuries include a broken nose and broken eye sockets.

Joseph’s devastated older sister Sian told the Telegraph: “He was outside his own home when a car pulled up by him. One Asian male got out of the car and punched Joseph.

“He went to fight back when three other Asian males all started to kick him in the head while he was cowering on the ground covering his head.

“All four repeatedly kicked him in the head and left him in the street. They didn’t take his phone or his wallet.”

Sian said her brother is currently in University Hospital in Walsgrave where surgeons will be performing an operation “to hold the jaw in place and this will mean for six to eight weeks he’ll only be able to take liquids”.

West Midlands Police confirmed they are investigating reports that a man had parked his car in Burnaby Road at around 10.45pm on Tuesday, February 20, when a car drove past him, beeped its horn and reversed back to where he was walking, before four men got out of the car and punched the victim, causing him to fall to the floor and then continued to punch and kick him.

Police say the attackers, who were described as Asian, then got back into their car and drove off.

PC Munmohan Sahota, of Coventry CID, said: ”The victim was taken to hospital and is still undergoing treatment for three facial fractures.

“This was a very violent, unprovoked attack and we are keen to find the four people who did it.

“Anyone with information is asked to call West Midlands Police on 101, giving crime reference 20CV/41514T/18, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Young man suffers broken jaw in violent gang attack outside his home

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Victim relives gang attack that left him with a metal plate in his face

A young man who was savagely beaten and repeatedly kicked in the head outside his home has relived the shocking attack.

Joseph Hughes was left with a catalogue of horrific injuries to his head and face and had to undergo two lots of surgery to fix his badly broken jaw.

The 20-year-old, who currently has bolts in his jaw and a metal plate in his cheekbone, is slowly recovering but still has one more operation to go.

He has now spoken to the Telegraph about the unprovoked attack outside his home in Burnaby Road, Holbrooks.

Joseph, also known as Joe, had just returned from playing pool at the pub with his mates when he was attacked at around 10.45pm on Tuesday, February 20.

Joe said: “I had parked around the corner and was crossing the road when this car was really gunning it and it was going faster than I thought. He slammed his brakes on and I put my hand up to say sorry.

“I carried on towards my house when this car reversed and nearly took me out. This lad got out and started giving me stick - I put my hands up to say ‘no trouble’, I just wanted to get home.

“He just hit me and there was about a two second gap where I thought ‘did he just hit me?’. I belted him one back as I didn’t want to get beat up.

“I didn’t realise he had three mates in the car. One came behind me and dragged me down and put me on the floor.

“Then for some time I got my head kicked and stamped on.”

Joe, who works as a technician, said he eventually managed to get inside and was “making a racket” as he came through the front door and it was then his dad Dave saw what happened to him.

When asked how he was coping mentally in the aftermath of the attack, Joe said: “I’m getting there. I love this estate and have great mates, but I am driving everywhere now.

“This has put me off a bit.

“My old man is raging and my old dear is devastated and my sisters are all angry.”

Joe said he has been asked by police if he knew the lads who attacked him or if he was involved in anything such as drugs - the answer to both was no.

He added: “They’ve basically given up after taking the witness statement. They claim to have done stuff, but they haven’t.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News