'No plans' for Coventry pollution charge

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: Drastic plans to reduce pollution in Coventry set to cause road disruption

Postby Melisandre » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:37 pm

rebbonk wrote:All of which is missing the most basic point. We are over-populated! But nobody will dare tackle that particular elephant in the room, will they?

I defiently agree with you on that Rebbonk.
Melisandre

Re: Drastic plans to reduce pollution in Coventry set to cause road disruption

Postby dutchman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:47 am

More than 400 sign petition against traffic restrictions on Holyhead Road in Coventry

A PETITION to prevent traffic restrictions on the Holyhead Road in Coventry amid air quality concerns has drawn more than 400 signatures.

It follows another petition to prevent the closure of Coundon Road which now has nearly 3,550 names.

Campaigner Mattie Heaven has questioned the need for the restrictions as part of the city’s pollution-busting Local Air Quality Action Plan.

There will be an introduction of peak-time traffic restrictions between the railway bridge and the ring road junction, with an inbound traffic closure in the morning and outbound in the evening.

Traffic lights would also be removed at the Barras Lane junction, which is a major bottleneck contributing to the poor air quality on Holyhead Road.

Holyhead Road was recently judged to be the most polluting road in the West Midlands by green charity Friends of the Earth.

Ms Heaven says the measure will push traffic onto surrounding roads and do little to minimise emissions in the city.

She says on the petition page: “This petition calls upon Coventry City Council to review their proposal for peak time restriction on the Holyhead Road, which will have an impact on traffic and pollution on the surrounding roads including the Allesley Old Road.

“It is also evident that the council needs to take into account the impact it will have on the local residents and commuters.

“We also request the council looks at other means of reducing air pollution, using accurate and up-to-date data and including additional consultation with local residents in regards to the Coventry Air Quality Action Plan.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: 'No plans' for Coventry pollution charge

Postby dutchman » Wed May 15, 2019 3:50 pm

Government orders 'congestion charge' on Coventry roads

The Government has ordered Coventry City Council to start charging motorists to enter the city in a bid to meet clean air targets.

Cars, taxis, buses and lorries could all face a fee to drive into the Clean Air Zone (CAZ), a move previously described by councillors as "economically disastrous."

The demand comes after the city council's £83million plan to cut pollution was rejected by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

Coventry City Council has been under severe pressure to reduce its nitrogen dioxide (NO2) levels as the city is forecast to exceed legal limits in 2021.

The authority's Local Air Quality Action Plan was sent to the government in March to avoid controversial clean air zone charging drivers.

Proposals included encouraging the use of electric-powered taxis, retrofitting cleaner engines on 100 buses, introducing new walking and cycling routes, road closures and traffic restrictions.

But the council’s plans have failed to satisfy DEFRA.

Instead, they have directed the council to implement a Class D clean air zone “as soon as possible” – an outcome previously described as “economically disastrous” for Coventry by cabinet member for jobs and regeneration Councillor Jim O’Boyle.

The ‘Class D’ measure, similar Birmingham’s clean air zone, would lead to charges for buses, coaches, taxis, PHVs, HGVs LGVs and cars whose engines are not clean enough.

Coventry City Council will now have just weeks left to revise their plan, having been set a deadline of June 14 to respond.

It is not yet known where the clean air zone would be implemented.

However, at a previous council meeting in April, Cllr O’Boyle said: “Coventry is not very big.

"A congestion charge would have to start at virtually all of the entrance points into the city, so virtually every single area of our city could be affected, and every arterial road into the city could be a road you have to be charged to go down.

“The economic disbenefits of that could be pretty extreme.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Wed May 15, 2019 5:13 pm

If it looks like affecting me, I'll take my business elsewhere. Bedworth and Nuneaton are quite accessible.

Coventry's centre is dying, this will kill it off completely. - Except for the students.

Just right for us celebrating the 'city of culture!' :clown:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Wed May 15, 2019 7:06 pm

No doubt this will put the bus fares up too I am glad it won't affect me for shopping. Some people have already said today they now want to move out the city. If they had nt over crowded the city population this would of never come about.

Seems to me they want to drain every penny we have out of us to get the poor out freeing it up for the rich they have their ways of pushing people out they call it change.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:35 pm

Revealed: Possible prices for Coventry congestion charge

Drivers of the most polluting cars could pay an £8-a-day congestion charge in Coventry if a Government Clean Air Zone is imposed on the city.

In the council’s report, the ‘benchmark’ charges – which have already been implemented in London – range between a daily toll of £12.50 to £100:

• CAZ category D charge: £12.50 for car, LGV, taxi. £100 for HGV and bus
  • Penalty charge if paid within 14 days: £60 for car, LGV and taxi. £120 for HGV and bus
  • Penalty charge if paid after 14 days: £120 for car, LGV and taxi. £200 for HGV and bus
However, a ‘sensitivity test’ carried out by the council cuts these by between a third and a half, and is more in line with council’s in neighbouring Birmingham and Leeds.

It sees possible charges reduced from £12.50 to £8 per day for cars, LGV and taxis, and from £100 to £50 per day for HGVs and buses, while penalty charges also reduce.

Coventry City Council is strongly against the government’s imposition of congestion charging believing its own plan to reduce pollution with cycle lanes, cleaner buses, traffic restrictions and road closures tackles the problem within a similar time frame.

But the modelled charges do give an indication of how the Clean Air Zone could look, should the council’s revised plan to avoid charges fail when it is re-submitted by June 14.

Within the CAZ area there are around 80,000 residents, according to the report, with almost half of those being among the most deprived in the city.

There are also an estimated 52,000 employees who work in the CAZ, along with 3,610 small businesses.

Initial JAQU advice is that 64 per cent of non-compliant cars and LGVs would be upgraded to a compliant vehicle by owners seeking to avoid paying a charge to enter the CAZ D area.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:11 pm

ANOTHER WAY OF SOCIAL CLEANSING

No they won't Rebbonk address over crowding here like you said and we will have more when they are still building more houses here in Bedworth Nuneaton and Bulkington. Wait until you see the new map of where the congestion charge starts and ends. I will be moving every one said they won't be visiting me.
For some cars it will be £12.00. I can see people parking up out side other peoples houses and walking to their homes. How are carers for the elderly and disabled going to cope.

What a bloody insult to those that work in the city or have to travel through these areas for work when they don't even get paid any where near £12.00 a day what's the point of a minium wage to have it taken back through congestion charges.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:47 pm

One report I've read states that the charge won't be required after 2028 because cars will be so much cleaner and our air will be so much better by then. Hence this charge is to be applied for about 10 years, if you believe this.

This being the case, it's not worth the aggravation and setting up the infrastructure to implement it.

I must therefore only conclude that this is rather a nasty short term measure to buoy public finances, at the expense of the hard pressed motorist.

There will be many unintended consequences of this outrageous charge.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:24 am

If they stick to the proposed boundaries it will put everyone in the Alvis Retail park out-of-business including Morrisons, B&Q, McDonalds, etc! :clown:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:11 pm

Also most shopping places Dutchman . What I want to know along with others where is all this money going to who is having it and why.

If congestion charge is to compensate pollution in these areas should nt this money go to the people who live in these areas to compensate for their lungs and health.
Melisandre

PreviousNext

Return to News