Coventry loses one in 13 GPs but patient numbers are rising

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry loses one in 13 GPs but patient numbers are rising

Postby dutchman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Latest figures revealed as British Medical Association warns that NHS is at breaking point

Coventry has lost one in 13 of its GPs in just over a year - as the number of patients soars.

NHS data reveals the Coventry and Rugby health area had just 260 full-time equivalent GPs at the end of June this year - the latest figures available - down from 281 in March 2016.

At the same time, the number of patients registered with a GP went up by more than 10,773.

It means the average full-time GP in Coventry and Rugby now has 1,941 patients.

The news comes after the British Medical Association, the organisation representing the country’s GPs, warned a chronic shortage of doctors was putting patient care at risk.

The data, published by NHS England, showed that Warwickshire has also experienced a drop in the number of doctors.

Warwickshire North had 92 full-time equivalent GPs at the end of June this year, down from 97 in March 2016.

Patient numbers in the area were up by 3,200 in that time.

In South Warwickshire, GP numbers fell by just three - from 189 to 186 - but patient numbers rose by 4,843.

NHS Coventry and Rugby Clinical Commissioning Group said: “Locally, the CCG recognises that workforce is an ongoing issue for our general practices, mirroring national trends, alongside an ever-increasing workload, as demand for services continues to grow.

"We are working closely with NHS England to plan and deliver a number of local initiatives, aligned to the GP Forward View, to help sustain and transform primary care in the area.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry loses one in 13 GPs but patient numbers are rising

Postby rebbonk » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:40 pm

One day, someone, somewhere, is going to get smart and stop all immigration until we have our infrastructure under control. Sadly, I doubt it'll be in my lifetime.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Nor mine Rebbonk perhaps we should start with getting rid of Common Purpose .
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:00 am

Oddly enough the last time I visited my doctor the surgery (the biggest in Coventry) was practically deserted! :shock:

They had even turned off some of the lights in the waiting area to save on electricity
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News