Suspected stolen car crashed into garden wall during police chase

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Suspected stolen car crashed into garden wall during police chase

Postby dutchman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:09 pm

It is the second time this year - and the fourth in 16 years - that a car has smashed into the property in Bell Green

A car stolen in a suspected burglary smashed into a garden wall during a police chase.

A wall was demolished in the dramatic incident in the Bell Green area of Coventry on Wednesday night.

Incredibly it is the second time this year cars have ploughed into Trish Jarvis’ property in Almond Tree Avenue - and the fourth time since she has lived there.

Miss Jarvis said she could have been killed in the latest smash had she not decided to take a last minute detour to KFC.

In the latest incident a driver in a suspected stolen car ended up on Miss Jarvis’ driveway, destroying part of her wall and bollards she had installed to try and stop the problem.

It is the second time this year the 42-year-old has suffered damage to her property and the fourth time in the 16 years she has lived there.

During that time, the mum-of-two has had two cars, which were parked on her driveway, written off, and another car badly damaged.

Walls, gates and bollards at the property have also been damaged.

“Someone is going to be killed and it could have been me this time,” Miss Jarvis said.

“If I had been home five minutes earlier, I would have been parking up on my driveway when the crash happened.

“I was collecting my daughter and we decided at the last minute to go to KFC.

“Thank God I made that decision to go to KFC.”

Miss Jarvis said the junction opposite her house is an accident blackspot and believes motorists speeding into the street is the cause of the problem.

“Everyone approaches that junction far too fast and that is the issue.

“The cars then skid and end up landing on my driveway.

“The road is fine as long as people drive at 30mph.

“But no one drives at that speed.

“There have been so many accidents on the street in recent years and there was even one on Saturday, which thankfully did not cause any damage to my property this time.

“But everyone living in the area is suffering and we need something in place to slow drivers down.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Suspected stolen car crashed into garden wall during police chase

Postby dutchman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Mum's call for changes after FIFTH crash outside city home

A Coventry mum has reached the end of her tether after yet another crash that damaged her car - which was parked on her driveway.

In the nearly 20 years that Trish Jarvis has lived at the junction of Almond Tree Avenue and Hillmorton Road, in Bell Green, a ridiculous five crashes have seen her parked vehicles either written off or damaged.

Walls, gates and bollards have also been damaged multiple times over the years.

CoventryLive previously reported how a suspected stolen car had smashed into her garden wall during a police chase.

And now, following the latest smash on July 30, the mum-of-two is calling on Coventry City Council to put in traffic calming measures at the Bell Green junction.

Trish has started a petition in which she states: "New houses are due to be built, I urge the council to consider serious traffic calming measures to reduce the speed of traffic in this area as part of this planning consultation."

If given the go-ahead, the plans for land at the Almond Tree Avenue junction would see 36 new homes built.

The latest incident happened at around 2.30am on Tuesday, July 30, and saw Trish's Mini Countryman crashed in to and pushed so hard it mounted her garden wall.

Once again it was a write-off, but Trish has been able to get it replaced.

Of the most recent crash, she said: "I was expecting thunder so didn't worry at the sound of the impact - which by now is quite familiar - but the dog kept barking, so my son looked out the window and simply said 'mum...car' and I knew instantly what had happened."

A spokesman for Coventry City Council said: “We are aware of the recent planning application for a residential development at this location and the Highway Authority is currently reviewing the submission and will be responding to the Planning Authority in due course.

“As part of this process the impact of the proposed development on highway safety will be considered and if deemed appropriate then the necessary mitigation will be requested”.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News