Boy and girl mauled by dog in Coventry playground

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Boy and girl mauled by dog in Coventry playground

Postby dutchman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:31 pm

The owner of the dog fled the scene after the attack

A boy and a girl were mauled by a dog in a Coventry playground.

The youngsters, aged 11 and 13, were attacked by the black Staffordshire bull terrier-type dog in a play area in Mercer Avenue, Stoke.

The incident happened just after 5.30pm on Thursday, October 12 and police today issued an appeal for information.

A West Midlands Police spokesman said: "The boy and girl, aged 11 and 13, were taken to hospital with minor bite injuries after a black dog, understood to have been wearing a red collar, bit them on the legs as they played on the swings.

"An area search was conducted but the dog and its owner, who was described as wearing a black top and grey bottoms and of a medium build, were not found.

"Enquiries remain on-going into tracing the dog owner."

The Telegraph understands that the dog was not on a lead and its owner fled the scene with the animal following the attack.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101, quoting 20CV/218745J/17.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Girls mauled by dog in Coventry playground

Postby rebbonk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Dogs off their leads are a menace.

Trouble is, I expect if caught the dog will end up by being destroyed because of its hopeless owner. :fuming: :fuming: :fuming:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Boy and girl mauled by dog in Coventry playground

Postby dutchman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Mum of boy mauled by dog pleads: 'Help catch the owner who ran away'

The mum of a child mauled by a dog has revealed her children are too scared to return to the park when it happened.

Bogumiła Gzella spoke of her horror when her son returned home from the Coventry park with his legs and body covered in bite marks and bruises.

The unleashed animal also attacked the boy’s female friend, 13.

As previously reported by the Telegraph, the incident took place in a playground in Mercer Avenue, Barras Heath.

Describing the incident, Bogumiła said: “My son Ksawery was in the park with his friend, and whilst they were on the swing, a dog ran up to them and starting biting at them.

“My son ran away so the dog turned and started attacking his friend.

“There were adults around, but none of them did anything to help, and the dog owner ran away.”

She later showed Ksawery pictures of a number of dogs leading the 11-year-old to think it was a black Staffordshire bull terrier-type dog.

It had a red harness but no lead.

The attack took place at around 5pm last Thursday.

Such was the severity of the injuries, Ksawery was forced to spend the night in hospital.

Bogumiła said: “He is covered in bruises on his legs and lower back area.

“I took him to hospital and he was admitted for 24 hours, and has to take antibiotics for seven days.

“His friend also suffered injuries. She had skin damage, bruises, and her coat was ruined.

“It’s just lucky that my younger son wasn’t there.”

Now recovering from his injuries, neither Ksawery or younger brother Nataniel want to go back to the park, according to their mum.

“They are scared, they don’t want to go back, especially not to that park,” she said.

“A friend called me the following day to say that she saw a guy with a black dog and a red harness in the same park on Friday morning.

“So this just confirms to me that the dog and the owner are local and using this park for walks.”

West Midlands Police have described the dog’s owner as “wearing a black top and grey bottoms and of a medium build”.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Boy and girl mauled by dog in Coventry playground

Postby Melisandre » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:48 pm

I can see dogs being banned from parks or places children play eventually with so many irresponsable owners.
Melisandre

Return to News