Man found with serious injuries in city street fights for life

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Man found with serious injuries in city street fights for life

Postby dutchman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 pm

Balwant Mattu is in an induced coma in hospital

A man is fighting for his life after being found unconscious in a street in Coventry.

Balwant Mattu was found with serious head injuries in Broad Street, Foleshill, and remains in an induced coma in hospital.

Police have just released details of being called to the 49-year-old's aid after he was discovered at around 12.24am on Sunday, September 24.

Detectives want to speak to anyone who was in Broad Street between 11.15pm on Saturday, September 23, and 12.25am on the Sunday.

In particular they are keen to talk to the occupants of a small light coloured car that was seen heading in the direction that Mr Mattu was walking.

Det Insp Stu Bell, from West Midlands Police CID, said: “We are really keen to speak to the occupants of this vehicle who may hold vital information that could assist with the investigation.

“We are keeping an open mind as to what may have happened to Mr Mattu and would ask for anyone with information to contact myself or my team, quoting log 111 of September 24.

“Officers from our dedicated family liaison team continue to support Mr Mattu’s family and they have chosen to release his picture to help support our appeal.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Coventry Police on 101, giving the above log number, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Man found with serious injuries in city street fights for life

Postby dutchman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Mystery remains as man found with serious injuries in city street is out of coma

A man who was found unconscious in a street in Coventry is no longer in a coma, police have said.

Balwant Mattu was found with serious head injuries in Broad Street, Foleshill, at 12.24am on Sunday, September 24.

He was taken to hospital and placed into an induced coma.

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said that the 49-year-old is now out of the coma but remains in a “serious” condition.

Detectives want to speak to anyone who was in Broad Street between 11.15pm on Saturday, September 23, and 12.25am on the Sunday.

Officers are particularly keen to speak to the occupants of a small, light coloured car that was seen heading in the direction that Mr Mattu was walking.

Det Insp Stu Bell, from West Midlands Police CID, said: “We are really keen to speak to the occupants of this vehicle who may hold vital information that could assist with the investigation.

“We are keeping an open mind as to what may have happened to Mr Mattu and would ask for anyone with information to contact myself or my team.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Coventry Police on 101, quoting log number 111 of September 24, or alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or visit http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

I'm curious whether he's any relation to Dr Raj Mattu to whom he bears a striking resemblance? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News