Nuneaton council spends £20,000 on barrister despite having its own legal team

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Nuneaton council spends £20,000 on barrister despite having its own legal team

Postby dutchman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 pm

'I do not think it is a waste of money' says cabinet member

Council bosses splashed out almost £20,000 in taxpayers’ money on a legal eagle to defend its controversial housing masterplan.

It has been revealed that Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council spent £19,140 to pay for a barrister to represent the local authority during the recent first round of hearings in to the Borough Plan – despite having its own legal team.

Cllr Danny Aldington, cabinet member for planning at the Town Hall, defended the spend, suggesting the council wanted expert advice during what were legal-based checks during the hearing.

He said: “The local plan examination hearings are a very important step in the local plan hearing process, this stage was for the inspector to consider if the plan meets the legal test and planning legislation and guidance.

“It was considered that, as this was a legal test, that the borough would be best represented by someone who had legal expertise in similar local plans.

“The cost of the barrister of undertaking the work before and during the hearing has totalled £19 140 including VAT. I do not think that this has been wasted money.”

He revealed the cost after being challenged by resident Kyle Evans during a full council meeting at the Town Hall.

Mr Evans said: “I was astonished to find out the council had hired a barrister to defend the council’s flawed Borough Plan despite the council having its own legal officers.

"Like many other residents, I feel angered that the council have decided to waste taxpayers’ money in this way.”

The Borough Plan is the most important and yet contentious piece of council policy in recent years as it has the potential to impact on so many communities.

Government planning inspector David Spencer has undertaken the first public hearing into the Borough Plan, which is a blueprint for all future development across the two towns up until 2031.

As a result of the three day hearing, he will now write a report to determine if the plan can progress through to the second round.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Nuneaton council spends £20,000 on barrister despite having its own legal team

Postby rebbonk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:54 pm

I do not think that this has been wasted money.

I wonder if he's quite so cavalier with his own money? :stir:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to News