Man fighting for life after Foleshill Road bus crash

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Man fighting for life after Foleshill Road bus crash

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:38 pm

He is in a critical condition in hospital

A man in his 30s is fighting for his life tonight after being involved in a collision with a bus on Foleshill Road .

The collision involving a National Express bus happened shortly before 2pm this afternoon at the junction with Edmund Road.

Police and paramedics attended the scene and Foleshill Road was closed in both directions in the aftermath of the incident, causing traffic issues.

Paramedics were there for around half an hour, they arrived shortly after several calls were made at 1.55pm and left the scene at 2.30pm.

The pedestrian, who suffered serious injuries, was taken by ambulance to University Hospital Coventry.

The pedestrian, who suffered serious injuries, was taken by ambulance to University Hospital Coventry.

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 1.55pm to reports of a bus in a collision with a pedestrian.

“When we got on scene, he was in a cardiac arrest.

“He was given CPR and advanced life support and they managed to successfully restart his heart again.

“He has been taken to University Hospital Coventry where he is in a critical condition.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Man fighting for life after Foleshill Road bus crash

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:11 am

Foleshill Road reopens after bus crash which left man fighting for life

Foleshill Road was eventually reopened tonight following a collision this afternoon between a National Express bus and a pedestrian, which left a man in his 30s fighting for his life.

The road had been closed by police for several hours at the junction with Edmund Road, initially to allow paramedics to treat the injured man and later to enable accident investigations to take place.

The closure of one of the main arterial routes in and out of the city centre remained in place while both West Midlands Police and National Express accident investigators worked at the scene.

The collision happened shortly before 2pm.

Police and the ambulance service attended with paramedics remaining at the scene until around 2.30pm.

The pedestrian, who suffered serious injuries, was taken by ambulance to University Hospital Coventry .

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 1.55pm to reports of a bus in a collision with a pedestrian.

“When we got on scene, he was in a cardiac arrest.

“He was given CPR and advanced life support and they managed to successfully restart his heart again.

“He has been taken to University Hospital Coventry where he is in a critical condition.”

The road closure caused severe traffic disruption in the area for several hours.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:14 am

There's a crossing just behind that bus! I await further information on this with interest.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Prayers for man fighting for life after Foleshill Road bus crash

Prayers are being said for a young Coventry man fighting for his life after he was hit by a bus.

Waqas Hussain, 20, is critically ill in hospital following the collision in Foleshill Road yesterday afternoon.

Family and friends have now taken to social media to pray for his recovery.

Writing on Facebook and sharing images of his cousin, Ahmed Khan said: “Please can everyone pray for my cousin Waqas who was hit by a bus in Coventry.

“His heart stopped and they had to restart it. It’s a life or death situation. And it’s critical.”

Zoheb Iqbal said: “Make dua (prayers) for my cousin Waqas Hussain.

“He just got hit by bus in Coventry.

“He’s in a very critical condition please everyone make dua for my lil cousin and he recovers quickly.

“We need all your duas please.

“Share to your friends and family and make dua for him please.”

Farhan Hussain said: “Can everyone do dua for my first young cousin brother Waqas Hussain, that may Allah grant him shifa (healing).

“He is in hospital and they are saying it is critical.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Foleshill bus crash victim dies in hospital

The young man hit by a bus in Foleshill has sadly died in hospital.

Waqas Hussain, who is in his 20s, was left with severe injuries after the collision in Foleshill Road on Wednesday and was on life support at the city’s University Hospital.

However, family and friends have confirmed on Facebook that he passed away on Friday evening after the heart-breaking decision to turn off the life support machines.

The news of Mr Hussain’s death has quickly spread through Coventry and the Asian communities across the UK, with the British Asians UK Facebook page reporting the sad news late last night.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Bus driver charged over death of pedestrian in Coventry

A bus driver has been charged in connection with the death of a pedestrian in Coventry.

James O’Reilly, 54, of Wellington Avenue, Stratford, has been charged with causing the death of Waqas Hussain by driving without due care and attention.

Mr Hussain, 20, died after an incident involving a National Express bus at the junction of Foleshill Road and Edmund Road just before 2pm on Wednesday, January 11, this year.

He suffered severe injuries and was taken to hospital, but doctors were unable to save him and his life support machine was switched off two days later.

O’Reilly is due to appear at Coventry Magistrates Court on August 24.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:09 pm

rebbonk wrote:There's a crossing just behind that bus! I await further information on this with interest.

One to follow through the courts!
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Bus driver pleads guilty to causing death of young man in Coventry

A bus driver has admitted causing the death of a young man who was hit by a bus in Coventry.

James O’Reilly had originally denied causing the death of Waqas Hussain after he was hit by a National Express bus in Foleshill Road.

Mr Hussain, 20, suffered severe head injuries and his life support machine was switched off two days after the collision at the junction of Edmund Road just before 2pm on Wednesday, January 11.

O’Reilly, 54, of Wellington Avenue, Stratford, was arrested and charged with causing death by driving without due care and attention.

And when he first appeared at Coventry Magistrates’ Court last month he entered a not guilty plea.

However, at a hearing at Warwick Crown Court today he pleaded guilty to causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving.

O’Reilly will now be sentenced at the same court on November 2 and could face up to five years in prison. He has been granted unconditional bail.

"Unconditional bail"? Does that mean he can continue to drive a bus or another road vehicle?
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Family of Wakas Hussain react as death crash bus driver avoids jail

A bus driver has avoided jail despite admitting he was at fault when a young man was knocked down and killed in Coventry.

James O’Reilly had pleaded guilty to causing the death of Wakas Hussain by careless or inconsiderate driving in Foleshill Road in January this year.

Wakas, 20, suffered serious head injuries when he was struck by the bus and died two days later in hospital when his life support was turned off.

O’Reilly, 54, was sentenced today at Coventry Crown Court and was handed a 12-month community order, including a rehabilitation activity requirement, and was banned from driving for a year.

The sentencing came after the court had ordered psychiatric reports to be prepared after it was revealed at a previous hearing that O’Reilly, from Stratford, had been admitted to a psychiatric unit in October.
Family reaction

Wakas’ dad, Imran Hussain, had previously said that he hopes the bus driver is “receiving help” and he has stood by those words.

Reacting to today’s sentence he said: “We all drive and things like this can happen - we do not think that he did it on purpose. It was an accident.

“I’m not one of those people who is wanting justice for five or ten years.

“My part in this has come to an end and whichever way the court have decided to deal with this, I’m with that.”

Speaking on how the last 11 months have been for the family, Imran said: “It was a massive blow to us and it has affected my life to lose the only son I had.

“I can’t get over the fact that he isn’t around. It’s not something that has sunk in yet.

“I keep thinking he is going to suddenly come back. But life goes on, as we all have to.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News