"Hoodie gran's shopping ban"

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

"Hoodie gran's shopping ban"

Postby dutchman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:16 pm

A FRAIL pensioner was stunned when a shopping centre security guard ordered her to remove her rain hood - because of a ban on HOODIES.

Arthritic Peggy Harden, 84, who hobbles with a walking stick, was wearing her hood up to shield herself from the wind and pouring rain.

But within minutes of stepping into the Grand Arcade retail centre in Cambridge she was approached by a burly security guard who ordered her to show her face.

The guard said the centre had a "no-hood" policy for security reasons and elderly Peggy's fur lined hood on her waist-length brown jacket broke the rules.

Former factory canteen cook Peggy, from Sawston, Cambs, who is just 5ft 2in tall, said she felt confused and intimidated by the whole episode.

She said: "The arcade was cold and draughty inside but I was going to take my hood off before I got in the store.

"The man started approaching me and he had a badge and a uniform so I thought I'd done something wrong.

"He said 'Would you mind taking your hood off'. I looked at him amazed and he said something about security.

"I can barely walk into a shop without my husband's help, although I don't lean on him because he'd fall over too.

"I have to keep my head down when I walk because I can't see very well and didn't really know what was happening."

Accosted

The great-grandmother-of-two was heading towards John Lewis with her husband Desmond, 84, who also uses a walking stick, when they were accosted by the guard.

Desmond, a former Debenham's department manager, said: "There were lots of youngsters in there who were actually wearing hoodies, but he came up to us.

"It's ridiculous. It didn't hit me straight away what was happening or I would have said a few words to him.

"Older people with walking sticks are not going start hitting people. We felt a bit victimised really, like we were being treated like criminals."

Peggy's daughter Val Bennett, 60, of Cambridge, said she was "stunned" when her mother told her about the incident on the morning of December 4.

Val, who runs a driving school, said: "If you could see them walking their sticks you would never think they were dangerous. If one falls over the other goes too.

"It's absolutely ridiculous. When she first told me I couldn't believe it, and then I was incensed.

"When you get older anyone official coming up to you feels a bit threatening.

"There were plenty of young men walking around in hoodies, but the security guard was probably worried he would get a bop in the chops if he challenged any of them."

A spokeswoman for the Grand Arcade shopping centre apologised for upsetting Peggy and her husband but insisted the ban was down to "health and safety".

She said: "It's more about health and safety than intimidation. Grand Arcade has a 'no-hood' policy within the centre.

"This is to ensure a safe and enjoyable shopping experience for everyone.

"However, it is not our intention to cause any upset, and we apologise for any stress this may have caused.

"We are reviewing our policy to ensure the safety and well being of all our customers."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News