Campaigners launch petition over precinct escalator which looks like 'derailed train'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: Deadline passes for unveiling of City Centre South anchor store

Postby rebbonk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:37 pm

The extra public investment is not without risk.

I would say, substantial risk. The high street is changing, Coventry is awash with empty retail properties and big names are falling like 9 pins. Our council are behaving like Canute trying to hold back the tide. They really need to open their eyes and see what's happening in real life.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Campaigners launch petition over precinct escalator which looks like 'derailed train'

Postby dutchman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Modern Upper Precinct plans branded 'inappropriate'

The plans to transform the pedestrianised Upper Precinct were approved in December 2017 and include the removal of the green escalator and the ramp connecting Broadgate to the upper levels of the precinct.

But the Twentieth Century Society has said the plans are inappropriate.

It is a British charity which campaigns for the preservation of architectural heritage from 1914 onwards.

The society's interest is in buildings and artefacts that characterise 20th century Britain.

One of the main issues it has found is since some of the buildings were listed, the scheme hasn't had many changes.

In a statement it said: "We were previously consulted on these proposals prior to the listing of the affected buildings, and our comments here closely reflect those submitted on 30 November 2017.

"We are disappointed to see that the scheme has undergone minimal revision in light of the newly listed status of the buildings occupying the site.

"Our support remains for the removal of the 1993 escalator and glass housing attached to the North Link block, and we are pleased to see that these unsympathetic additions have been identified as such by the applicants.

"We do, however, have significant concerns about the harm other proposed alterations will have on the historic interest of several Grade II listed buildings."

The ramp leading to the first floor of West Orchards is proposed to be removed along with the bridge links surrounding the first floor.

However, the Society has said the Upper Precinct was always intended to have shops on two storeys, with a square walkway at the first floor to connect the upper floor of shops.

It does recognise that the removal of the 1983 escalator will be a positive change, and will enhance the significance of the listed building.

It said: "The Society cannot see that any justification has been given for the loss of the walkway bridges, as this will reduce access and footfall to the first floor shops, and will remove the possibility of raised views towards the cathedral and the Upper Precinct axis.

"We recommend that more prominent access stairs and linking walkway bridges be incorporated to facilitate easy public access, maintaining the original design intent."

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Campaigners launch petition over precinct escalator which looks like 'derailed train'

Postby dutchman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 pm

The city centre's green escalator is finally gone

A long-standing and controversial landmark has disappeared from Coventry city centre forever.

The green escalator in the Upper Precinct - dubbed 'ugly' by some - has been demolished overnight.

Work has been ongoing for the past several months to prepare for its removal.

It is all part of plans to open up views through the city centre to Coventry Cathedral.

All that remains is a hole in the ground, the archway where the top of the escalator stood and piles of green glass within the demolition area.

It gained quite an interest from passers-by who couldn't believe it had gone.

CoventryLive spoke to some of them, who were mainly pleased the demolition had taken place.

One woman told us: "It was hardly ever working when it was there, but I'm just flabbergasted to see it down as it was only here the other day.

"The new escalators are a lot better behind aren't they. I just can't believe it but I'm so glad it's gone. It will look so much better."

Another shopper agreed, but also raised questions about wheelchair access.

He said: "I'm glad it's gone, it was a real eyesore.

"I'm still wondering about wheelchair access as I look at the new escalators. I'm not sure if there's a lift. But with the old green one already gone, it looks an improvement."

Another woman branded the green escalator "ugly", and reminisced about when access was through M&S on the bridge deck.

She said: "I remember when you could access Marks' from the bridge level and there were all of the shops around too.

"So much has changed, it looks much nicer now - it was just ugly before. Although I'm not sure about the new escalator going in.

"I hope they aren't going to tear the bridge deck down too."

Shearer Property Group has created an internal escalator in the location of the former Moss Bros shop so there will still be access from Upper Precinct to West Orchards Shopping Centre.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:54 pm

They're still working on this eight months later and don't appear to have made any progress? :roll:

It's also created a bottleneck at the top of the precinct which makes social distancing impossible.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:07 pm

Demolition of shop could open up views of cathedral

The demolition of a shop in Coventry could open up views of the cathedral, the councillor responsible for city services has said.

It's part of an £11m plan for the Upper Precinct area. Councillor Pat Hetherton called it "the last piece in the jigsaw".

If councillors back the plans on 8 December, the Ernest Jones site could be closed by the end of January with the demolition work complete by the spring.

The plan also involves the jewellers surrendering its existing lease on the building.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:09 pm

Not really, they would also have to remove the ramp behind it and then there would be no disabled access to the upper level. :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:32 am

That monstrosity, Cathedral Lanes, is still in the way, isn't it?
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:11 pm

Ernest Jones to be given £630k of taxpayers' cash to give up Coventry shop

Jewellers Ernest Jones will be handed £630,000 of taxpayers’ cash to surrender its shop lease at Upper Precinct as part of council redevelopment plans.

Coventry councillors are to approve the deal today (December 8) to enable the shop, ramp and walkway to be knocked down and open up a view of the cathedral.

A private council report reveals the high-street chain will be paid a £630,000 surrender premium; with rental arrears of around £30,000 – half of what it owes – written off.

Coventry City Council will also lose out on £137,000 rent per-year on the current lease, which expires in 2057.

It falls the same week the authority announced plans to increase council tax by five per cent in April and needs to make £6m in cuts to balance next year’s books.

Ernest Jones, whose owners Signet Jewellers reported an overall revenue of $6.25 billion in 2017 with UK sales up 10% in the latest quarterly accounts, is yet to comment.

However Coventry’s cabinet member in charge has defended the deal as “the best we could have done”.

Cabinet member for jobs and regeneration Cllr Jim O’Boyle did not answer questions on how the figure was valued but said: “Based on all the discussions we have had I believe that the agreement we have reached with Ernest Jones in order for them to surrender the lease is the best deal that we could have done.

“I think we have got a good scheme here and I think we are doing the right thing. In the end it will pay the city and its taxpayers a benefit in the next few years.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:27 pm

“I think we have got a good scheme here and I think we are doing the right thing. In the end it will pay the city and its taxpayers a benefit in the next few years.”

:rolling:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:30 pm

Yet again, O'Boyle tries to defend the indefensible.

All of this should have been thought about and costed in at the outset. Yet more incompetence from our excremental council.
rebbonk

Previous

Return to News