Coventry council plan to axe weekly household waste collections in bid to make budget savings

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: [merged threads] The new food waste containers

Postby rebbonk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 am

Today is our new bin collection schedule day. - Brown and blue bins today.

Having walked around part of the estate this morning with the dog, I'm amazed at the number of green bins placed kerbside. I don't blame the residents for this, but the council management. The communication of this scheme (at least around here) has been abysmal. My estimate would be that the communication has been (at best) 50% effective.

[Post moved from the food waste bin discussion: DM]
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Coventry council plan to axe weekly household waste collections in bid to make budget savings

Postby dutchman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:40 pm

A few neighbours thought there would be a collection on Tuesday, I guessed there wouldn't be a collection here this week so didn't bother putting my bin out.

Next week should be interesting though? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry council plan to axe weekly household waste collections in bid to make budget savings

Postby Melisandre » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 am

None of my bins were emptied last week. perhaps we need two bins but where do we put them with so many homes being built with tiny gardens.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:20 am

I'm surprised on that Melisandre, as you're only round the corner from us. Our bins were both emptied before midday. To be truthful, it wasn't worth putting them out with what they contained.

Incidentally, we've still not had the nice new caddy that the council are supposed to be delivering to every home. :lol:
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:55 pm

If you are on my estate perhaps they forgot me for pull and return then . There was nt much in my bins but there is now :yellow_grin: I recieved my food caddy the other week they leave it out side your door so you can brake your neck perhaps your has been taken then by a lady who likes it for her pegs or a fisherman for his fishing tackle as Jock said :lol:
As you can not compost cook meats yet they say you can add cooked meats I therefore think they are selling it for pig swill hence the saving of 1 million pounds me thinks.

I ve sent Dutchman a news link how Councils are starting to charge £10 for disposing of waste which I knew they would do eventually next with heavier bins fornightly they ll be charging for that to hence why I give the House of Empowerment and Salem prior about 80 black bags if not more bags of their rubbish back which comes into my gardens from their trees and bine weed.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Melisandre wrote:I ve sent Dutchman a news link how Councils are starting to charge £10 for disposing of waste which I knew they would do eventually

That's for people visiting the tip Melisandre, not for household collection:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4486113/c ... e-at-tips/

WARNING: Page also contains pictures of nude people performing sex acts.

Coventry already charges for collecting heavier items which affects poor people most as they are less likely to own cars.

By the way another reason I've discovered why fortnightly collections will not cut down on costs is that people will now be forced to put out bins before they are full as they know there will not be a collection the following week when it will be full!
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Yes I knew its for visting the tip Dutchman. :)
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Just had our first official fortnightly collection (green bins only). They were on time this week but it will be interesting to see if the schedule slips as the weeks progress.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Our green bin collection is due tomorrow. Ours now has 2 weeks worth of garbage in it, and I must say, it stinks! - It will be disinfected tomorrow, but I'm not getting the warmest feeling about this latest little brainwave from our council.

We are going to be a city of culture alright, but it's the mouldy kind of culture.

EDIT. Bin day is Thursday, not Wednesday!- I'm losing it!
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 pm

rebbonk wrote:
We are going to be a city of culture alright, but it's the mouldy kind of culture.

This Coventry pop band already knew this Rebbonk :rolling:

Melisandre

PreviousNext

Return to News