Third of all Coventry crime takes place in just four areas

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Third of all Coventry crime takes place in just four areas

Postby dutchman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:16 pm

A third of all crime in Coventry takes place in four problem-hit parts of the city, new figures show.

A council report has revealed that a staggering 7,456 crimes were recorded in Willenhall, Foleshill, Hillfields/city centre, and Wood End/Bell Green last year.

The crime rate in those areas is more than double the rest of the city.

Since the areas were identified police have invested significant resources in an effort to crack down on crime.

In Hillfields, police have been working alongside partner agencies to tackle prostitution.

St Michaels councillor Jim O’Boyle said there was “no point” in pretending that his ward did not have issues.

“We have problems with prostitution and we have issues with anti-social behaviour and there’s criminality behind all of that,” he said.

“As councillors we regularly speak to police and ask them to put as many resources into our area as possible.

“What I would love to see is crime levels coming down to the same levels as other areas of the city.

“No person should be expected to live with this.

“Lets be straight, they don’t have issues with prostitution and the problems that derive from that in Styvechale or Earlsdon.

“It happens in Hillfields. My constituents deserve to be able to walk round their neighbourhood without being molested.”

Coun O’Boyle said he was totally behind police pouring more resources into the area, stating that burglary and violent crime had fallen in recent months.

“Boots on the street are so important,” he said. “Criminals are a bit like children - when the parents come down the stairs they stop misbehaving.”

The council document that outlines the priority areas are set to be discussed at a meeting today.

Among a series of worrying statistics is the number of “troubled families” in the priority areas - which is three times the level of the rest of the city.

Physical health in the four priority areas is also reduced, with one in three adults in Willenhall smoking compared to one in 13 in Wainbody. Populations are also younger, poorer and more likely to have criminal records.

There are lower levels of home ownership, educational attainment and employment.

A group set up to try to tackle the issues have found them difficult to target.

As a result they have turned their attention to environment problems, increasing CCTV and street lighting.

Specific locations like Edgwick Park and Broad Park Road have also become the focus for more police attention, as well as specific issues like city centre street drinking.

Among the other issues highlighted in the Coventry Partnership report are “career” beggars and the sale of high-strength alcohol in city centre off licences.

Police have previously suggested that the sale of super-strength drinks could be voluntarily banned in the city if retailers agreed.

Last year there were 7,456 crimes in priority areas and 15,046 elsewhere in the city.

The crime rate per 1,000 people in the priority areas was 124.3. In the rest of the city it was 57.6.

See also: Do you live in a Coventry crime hotspot?
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Third of all Coventry crime takes place in just four areas

Postby rebbonk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:18 pm

They really need to look at the underlying causes of these figures, but of course, that takes a bit of nous!
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Third of all Coventry crime takes place in just four areas

Postby Wearethemods » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:58 am

When I first noticed the headline I could guess the four areas before reading the article and I was right ! However I haven't lived in Coventry for 35 Years and nothing's changed from the prostitution being rife in Hillfields and the high crime levels in the sprawling 'new' housing estates at Wood End & Willlenhall 50 years ago !
Wearethemods

Return to News