Brandon Stadium, home of Coventry Bees, 'has been sold'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Brandon Stadium, home of Coventry Bees, 'has been sold'

Postby dutchman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:40 am

A stadium which hosts speedway and greyhound racing near Coventry has been sold, the BBC understands.

There had been rumours for months Brandon Stadium in Rugby Road, Brandon, was up for sale.

It is not clear who has bought it, but Coventry City Football Club chairman Tim Fisher has said it was not them.

Mick Horton, owner of the Coventry Bees speedway team, said he hoped they would be able to stay.

"Obviously, we want to continue racing at Brandon but until we have a meeting with the new landlord it's about whether they want us to be there and what sort of agreement we can come to," he told BBC Coventry and Warwickshire.

"If we can't then we have no other option but to look elsewhere."

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Brandon Stadium, home of Coventry Bees, 'has been sold'

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:14 pm

Greyhound racing in Coventry saved by mystery backer

Greyhound racing at Coventry Stadium has been saved after a mystery backer stepped in to offer support.

Coventry Dogs had announced Saturday’s meeting would be the last after it was revealed that the sale of the stadium site, in Brandon, was ‘imminent’.

A lack of long-term security and an inability to sign up sponsors were cited as reasons for closure .

But it now appears the organisation plans to see out the three years remaining on its lease after an unidentified sponsor stepped in at the eleventh hour.

Bob Webb, general manager of Coventry Dogs, said: “It is a big turnaround in a couple of days. We have a new sponsor and I will be meeting him to look at all the nuts an bolts of it all.

“We are back in business and plan to race on Friday and Saturday as normal. We need greyhound board approval but we should get that during the next couple of days.

“We are restructuring a bit but it will be business as normal. We have three years remaining on the lease which we now have guaranteed in writing.

“We are over the moon, on Saturday we had everyone in tears but now everyone is jumping for joy.”

The news follows assurances from outgoing stadium owner Avtar Sandhu that speedway and stock cars would also continue at the site for the next three years, regardless of stadium ownership.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:52 am

End for Coventry greyhound racing after governing body blocks rescue bid

Greyhound racing at Coventry Stadium has been shut down by the sport’s governing body after a turbulent week for Coventry Dogs.

The news will result in the loss of 50 jobs at the track and will mean 200 greyhounds will have to be found new tracks or re-homed. It will also impact on at least 30 greyhound trainers in the area.

Organisers had announced last Saturday’s meeting would be the final event after it was revealed the sale of Brandon-based Coventry Stadium was ‘imminent’.

But there was an about-turn when they later confirmed greyhound racing would continue at the track for the next three years after backer Rob Ronaldson came to the organisation’s aid at the eleventh hour to ensure it could see out its existing lease.

That deal was subject to approval from the Greyhound Board of Great Britain (GBGB) – but the governing body has now revoked the track’s licence and is unwilling to restore it.

The governing body cited the financial performance of the venue as the reason for stripping the track of its licence, pointing to the company’s accounts which showed a loss of over £511,000 during the past two financial years.

In a letter to organisers, seen by the Telegraph, the GBGB said: “The fact you indicated you were closing does mean you relinquish your GBGB licence.

"Your proposal to try and rectify this by announcing that you now intend to remain open subject to financial intervention by other parties is not acceptable.

“The regulatory process cannot work and revolve around the uncertainty generated within the industry by your own actions.”

With no apparent process of appeal, options available to organisers include a legal challenge or to re-apply for the licence. Both of these processes would take several months – too long to save jobs or prevent greyhounds from being relocated.

Bob Webb, general manager of Coventry Dogs, said: “I think the GBGB are there to represent the greyhound industry, but this move is detrimental.

“This track could have been saved in the blink of an eye, but they just won’t budge. It has taken us two years to get to the position we are in but now we have to start all over again.

“We had attracted a new sponsor and next week we would have traded at a profit and have the figures to prove that. What they have done is disgraceful in my view.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:35 pm

Campaign group stage meeting to protest knocking Brandon Stadium down for new homes

An artist's impression of the potential new housing development for Coventry Stadium in Brandon, showing phase one on the left and phase two on the right.

Campaigners trying to save Brandon Stadium from becoming a housing estate are hosting a public meeting later this month.

The Save Coventry Speedway campaign was set up in September last year by speedway fans and residents who fear for the future of the stadium in Brandon.

Plans for 250 homes on the site were unveiled last year by planning consultants Framptons and a company called Investin Brandon Limited.

However, campaigners are determined to save the much-loved stadium which has staged speedway since 1928.

The group’s next meeting will take place at Binley Woods village hall on Thursday, July 23, from 8pm-10pm.

Pete Lawrence, who set up the campaign, said: “This meeting is called to put the future of both speedway and stock car racing firmly back on the agenda with urgency and the Save Coventry Speedway campaign will be inviting key representatives from the stadium, the council and the promoters of both motor sports to enlighten concerned fans.

“It is also hoped a fund will be set up to ensure that the interests of the racing community with its long and rich heritage can be properly represented.

“We are all aiming for the same thing - the preservation and prosperity of our beloved sports. So it’s time we came together with common purpose.”

The housing plans would be done in two phases with the car park area worked on first and then phase two including the demolition of the stadium, which is home to Coventry Bees and also greyhound and stock car racing, to make way for the remaining homes.

Any planning application for the site would be considered by Rugby Borough Council.

The site was previously rumoured to be one of the possible locations for a new stadium for Coventry City FC.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:06 am

Wall of silence over future of home of Coventry Speedway

A wall of silence over the future of Brandon Stadium is not making life easy for those most affected by plans to knock it down.

That is the view of a councillor who not only represents residents who are campaigning to save the venue, but who also lives near the stadium.

Members of the Save Coventry Speedway campaign are hoping to block plans to demolish the arena, which is home to the Coventry Bees and stock car and greyhound racing, and build 250 new homes in its place.

This has been made difficult by a lack of news coming from stadium owner Avtar Sandhu or anyone else associated with the plans since a public consultation event last October.

This hasn’t deterred them and they have continued to raise awareness of the proposals submitted by planning consultants Framptons and a company called Investin Brandon Limited.

The campaigners have also now outlined their own plans to try and make Brandon Stadium an “asset of community value”.

This would give the stadium extra protection from any developers wanting to knock it down and rebrand the site.

Coun Heather Timms, who represents the Revel and Binley Woods ward on Rugby Borough Council, has praised the group and residents for their reaction in the face of adversity.

She said: “It is difficult for the residents and fans at the moment when there are no tangible plans in front of them.

“I am pleased though with how the campaign group has been progressing and hopefully they will have some more volunteers on board soon.

“They are having to wait for the planning application to go in and they might be able to take advantage of that and get a really strong campaign sorted.

“The parish council are backing the idea of applying to make the stadium an asset of community value and that is something they can help the campaigners put forward.

“Also as Brandon has hosted speedway and stock cars for so long, to get permission for another stadium in the city to run those kind of sporting events would be incredibly difficult.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:09 pm

Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:45 pm

Site identified for new Coventry Bees speedway stadium

Bosses at the Coventry Bees speedway team say they hope a new stadium could be in place for the 2017 season after identifying a potential site.

Officials remain tight-lipped over the exact location but have confirmed the land is owned by Coventry City Council, although it sits on the green belt within Rugby Borough Council’s boundary.

The speedway team is desperate to secure a new home with their existing track in Brandon set to be demolished and replaced with 250 new homes this year after it was sold by stadium owner Avtar Sandhu.

But Coventry Bees owner Mick Horton has told the Telegraph he is hopeful a new stadium could be in place in time for the 2017 season, as long as land can be secured within the next six months.

He said: “We’re in discussions and I’m at a meeting today with Coventry and Rugby councils.

“I’m in constant meetings with both councils. There will be no stone unturned I’m working around the clock on this, all I care about is the speedway.”

He added: “The land is owned by Coventry council, those discussions are ongoing. But we’re also looking at other sites.

“If we could locate a new piece of land, we can build it in stages. We would build a temporary track, temporary stands and temporary facilities.

“Something like that we can do in less than six months. It’s possible for next season if we can find a new home with in the next six months.”

However, he admitted the club’s future was uncertain until a suitable home was found.

He said: “It’s unlikely we can stay at Brandon in the interim. We’re in discussions at the moment and a groundshare is an option.

“But that’s not ideal and I’m hoping it doesn’t come to that.”

Sources say the site identified is not in Ansty, Coombe Abbey or on land around Coventry Gateway - which is predominantly in Warwick District.

The Telegraph understands the new site is located somewhere on the Rugby side of the A46 between Binley Woods and Tollbar Island.

Coun Kevin Maton, Coventry council’s cabinet member for business, said he could not reveal exactly where the speedway team was interested in moving to.

Asked if the site was on Brandon Golf Course, he said: “It functions as a golf course at the moment. I would think the council would want to keep a site which is used for sport already, and seven days a week rather than just one day a week.

“We own various plots of land in that area, including farmland.”

He added: “Anything which attracts even a couple of thousand people will require infrastructure, access, parking and the owners are looking for somewhere that can be provided as cheaply as possible.”

Coun Michael Stokes, leader of Rugby Borough Council, said his council wanted to keep the speedway team in Rugby.

He said: “They have spoken to us, and it would be a shame to see the speedway team go from the borough of Rugby. We have offered assistance in terms of identifying areas where it might be possible to seek planning permission.

“They’ve identified an area they are interested in. It’s my understanding that Coventry City Council owns the land.”

A Coventry council spokesman said: “We have had a tentative approach about a new stadium for the Bees on land the council owns outside the city.

"The land is in Rugby Borough Council’s area for planning purposes and forms part of their greenbelt so the decision on any new stadium would be dealt with by Rugby.

“We believe the home of Coventry Bees should be at Brandon stadium , which has been their home for decades.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri May 27, 2016 8:39 pm

New lease at Brandon the only hope for Coventry Speedway

THE FUTURE of Coventry Speedway remains in doubt following a crisis meeting at Warwick University last night (May 26).

The future of the club – and the site – is in the balance as the current lease for speedway and stock car racing ends following the current season, meaning a new lease would have to be agreed with stadium owners Brandon Estates Ltd.

However, despite no planning application being currently submitted, it is feared by many supporters that Brandon Estates Ltd will ‘land bank’ the site – leaving the stadium to remain standing in a derelict state.

A decision regarding the future of Coventry Stadium is likely to be made at the end of June to allow realistic time for both speedway and stock car promoters to plan for next year’s racing – should any take place.

Around 130 outraged Coventry Bees and Coventry Stock Car fans turned out at Scarman House Lecture Theatre where Rugby Borough Council Leader Michael Stokes, Bees promoter Mick Horton, campaigner Pete Lawrence and Dave Carter of Coventry Stock Cars made up the panel.

The meeting was held just hours after an application made to make the Brandon site an Asset of Community Value (ACV) was rejected by Rugby Borough Council – though this will be reviewed in full today (May 27).

Attendees were told the application was rejected as the stadium does not directly serve the community and only hosts sporting events.

Should the stadium become an ACV, it would make building on the site much more complex – meaning the likelihood of losing the stadium at the end of the current season in October would decrease.

During the meeting it was also revealed that 20 sites have been considered for development, though none of those have been deemed appropriate and current discussions are taking place about a site 13 miles from Coventry city centre – though talks are in the early stages.

Regarding the immediate future of Coventry Bees Speedway team, promoter Mick Horton revealed that he would not consider a groundshare with nearby clubs Leicester Lions or Birmingham Brummies while they continue to search for a new home.

He also added that Coventry Speedway wouldn’t consider a 12-month lease at Coventry Stadium and that if a lease was to be agreed it would have to be a long term deal – ideally five years.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:58 pm

Fans plea to keep popular motorsport stadium open describing it as a ‘home’

FANS of the Coventry Bees speedway team have told The Observer it would be a tragic loss to everyone involved should the stadium be demolished amid doubts of the club’s future.

Significant figures in and outside of speedway have already expressed their views on Saving Coventry Stadium including Rugby MP Mark Pawsey, Council Leader Michael Stokes and three times world speedway champion Greg Hancock.

The current lease to race speedway and stock cars at the stadium ends in December, a new lease must be agreed else both Coventry Bees and Coventry Stock Cars will be homeless next season – even though the stadium will most likely remain standing.

The Observer with inundated with messages from fans of the Coventry Bees Speedway team when asking the public to voice their memories of Coventry Speedway.

Linda Payne said: “In 1948 I was taken by my parents to Coventry Speedway, I introduced my husband to the Bees in the 60s – we took Both of our Daughters to Watch the Bees in the 70s.

“We have all been lifelong fans of the Bees and speedway and stock car racing and continue to go to every meeting that the stadium puts on.

“It goes without saying how much this sport means to us.

“We have made many friends at speedway and can’t imagine the sport without a Coventry team.”

Dawn Lewis added: “I’ve been a speedway supporter since the early 50s after my parents took me from a very young age.

“When Birmingham closed in the 50s, we started supporting the Bees and have done ever since with my family and young grandchildren.”

Observer speedway reporter Robin Allen described Coventry Stadium as one of Britain’s premier sporting venues for many years and said it would be a tremendous loss if the stadium is closed.

He added: “Coventry Stadium has played host to some great meetings over the years from British Finals to Grand Prix and World Cup events.

“The calibre of riders who have raced on the Coventry shale over the years has been tremendous – Nigel Boocock, Ole Olesen, Greg Hancock, Nicki Pedersen, Emil Sayfutdinov and of course the Brandon Bomber himself Chris Harris.

“The stadium has been a place I call home ever since I went to my first meeting against Eastbourne in 2004.”

Julie James described Coventry Stadium as a religion, she added: “I’ve been going to watch the Bees for over 50 years and still hold a season ticket with my brother and sister.”

Bees fan Yvonne Mills said: “I come from Birmingham to Coventry for speedway meetings and have done for 15 years.

“I’ve made so many great friends among riders and spectators – I’d be gutted if it closes.”

Carol Smolka has supported the Bees for four decades and said she would be devastated if the stadium closed.

Janet Hambleton added: “I’ve been a Speedway fan since 1949 but have only been supporting the Bees since 1984 after Leicester’s closure.

“I still travel down the M69 for every Storm and Bees match and would be devastated to see them close down.”

Swindon speedway supporter Dave Ridley said losing Coventry would be a massive loss to the sport of speedway.

He added: “Even as a fan who supports a different club, I still have great memories at Brandon.

“It’s a great racing facility that’s unique and produces some fantastic racing.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Coventry Bees to stay at Brandon for another year after last-ditch talks

Coventry Bees will ride at Brandon Stadium next season after a deal was struck with the land owners of the site.

The city’s speedway team faced being made homeless at the end of the current season as their lease at the stadium expired at the end of December after the land was sold to developers.

However, last-ditch talks co-ordinated by Rugby Borough Council have resulted in an offer for the Bees to remain at Brandon next season while they search for a new home.

The new lease will run from January 1, 2017, with the possibility of a further two years subject to conditions.

The lease will allow Coventry Bees, junior race meetings and stock car or banger racing meetings to take place. Additional events would be subject to individual agreement.

Coventry Bees promoter Mick Horton said: “While the long-term future of the Coventry Bees is still a concern, there can be no doubt that this offer has given the speedway team some security in the short-term.

“Our next home fixtures against Leicester, Swindon, Lakeside and Kings Lynn had looked like being our last.

“Now, however, our fans can support the team knowing that there is an offer on the table that will allow another full season at Brandon Stadium.”

Coun Michael Stokes, leader of Rugby council, said: “It is clear that the situation the Bees and the other stadium users find themselves in is not ideal, but the lease that has been offered to them is a good compromise that will allow speedway and stock car racing to continue at Brandon for at least another year."

Coventry Bees had previously stated they had nowhere else to go other than Brandon after ruling out 20 possible locations for a new home and groundshare options.

dutchman
Site Admin

Next

Return to News