Brandon Stadium, home of Coventry Bees, 'has been sold'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: Brandon Stadium, home of Coventry Bees, 'has been sold'

Postby dutchman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Coventry Bees boss says he needs to see damage as Brandon is stripped to a shell

Coventry Bees speedway boss Mick Horton says he needs to "see the damage first-hand" after Brandon stadium was stripped to an unusable shell - putting the club's future at risk.

Despite having a three-year agreement to lease the site, Horton has failed to reach a financial deal with former stadium owner Avtar Sandhu, who still controls the CoventryStox operation and, crucially, the fixtures and fittings.

The track shale, floodlights, seats and other fixtures have now been stripped out of the stadium as Sandhu prepares to hand over the keys. That means Bees would need to reach a compromise with their former owner or spend thousands of pounds getting the stadium back up and running.

Horton said in a statement on the club's website: "Whilst away on my holiday I have heard the news of what has happened to the stadium.

"I want to assure the fans I am still 100 per cent committed to the Bees racing at Brandon for 2017.

"However, I would need to see the damage first-hand before further decisions can be made.

"I wish to thank all speedway and stock car fans for their continued support, and I can confirm speedway still holds the lease for next year."

The Telegraph understands that, even at this stage, Sandhu is prepared to reinstall the assets he has removed at his own expense, but there seems little chance that an agreement will be reached before tomorrow when he is due to officially hand over the keys.

It is possible that both the speedway and stock car franchises could continue using ground-share arrangements elsewhere until such time as either or both of them build a new stadium.

But while that would probably prove workable for the stock cars, history suggests that speedway fans are much more reluctant to travel even if Horton could reach an agreement with the likes of Leicester or Birmingham.

The latest developments will also come as a bombshell to the riders Bees have recruited for the 2017 season who could feel entitled to reconsider their positions.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Coventry Bees speedway at Brandon SAVED after late-night talks

The future of Coventry Bees speedway at Brandon stadium has been secured after late-night negotiations produced a solution to a contract row.

Track bosses, speedway chiefs and council officials were locked in discussions through the evening in a bid to resolve the dispute which could have left Coventry Bees and Coventry stock cars operation CoventryStox homeless.

But after negotiations were drawn to a close at about 2am this morning a deal was agreed which will see the Brandon venue restored to operational standards and both teams will race at the track next season.

Stadium chief Avtar Sandhu removed between £150,000 to £200,000 of fixtures and fittings he owned - including floodlights, seats, shale and fences.

He is due to hand the keys to the stadium today before Mick Horton, Coventry Bees promoter, takes over running the venue from January 1. But without items such as shale and floodlights, the stadium would not have been able to host competitive racing.

Rugby Borough Council leader Michael Stokes led the negotiations with Sandhu in Warwick while Horton telephoned in from his holiday in the USA.

Sandhu has now agreed to return the fixtures and fittings and make the stadium ready for the motorsport season at his own cost.

There appeared to be a dispute over the use of the stadium by Avtar Sandhu’s CoventryStox operation.

The suggestion was that Sandhu was trying to secure a deal for the stock cars to use the venue but there was disagreement over why a contract was never signed.

With no agreement in place, Sandhu removed the fixtures and fittings he owned at the stadium on the final day before he had to hand over the keys to the track.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:38 am

Coventry Bees Brandon Stadium deal in doubt as owners call in police

The future of speedway and stock car racing at Brandon Stadium is back in doubt after the stadium’s owners said they will report the removal of fixtures and fittings to the police.

In a statement issued today the company said: “Following a site visit this week, Brandon Estates Limited, the lawful owners of Brandon Stadium since November 2015, are shocked and appalled at the action taken by their leaseholder, CoventryStox in the destructive removal of floodlights, seating, fire alarms etc, all owned by Brandon Estates Limited.

“As a result of this unlawful action Brandon Estates Limited have instructed their solicitors to report this matter to the police and to take such other action where appropriate.”

The statement added that Brandon Estates had contacted Coun Stokes and would keep communication channels open with him.

The statement added: “Brandon Estates are in discussion with Mick Horton regarding support for Coventry Bees.

“Although we are grateful for the efforts in bringing the relevant parties together, Brandon Estates Ltd now have no alternative but to take more formal action against the leaseholder.”

But a statement released by Coventry Racing Club/CoventryStox said it was “shocked” at Brandon Estates’ latest intervention.

It said: “We are shocked that Brandon Estates would put a statement into the public domain that they clearly know to be incorrect and to infer that we have committed an offence that the police need to investigate.

“They have always known as it was a condition of sale, well documented and beyond any dispute that we own all the fixtures and fittings which we were fully entitled to remove.

“In fact both Brandon Estates and Mick Horton knew in advance that we intended to remove these fixtures and fittings whilst never expecting us to do so.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:31 pm

Coventry Racing Club confirms contractors are ready to return speedway venue to its original state

COVENTRY Racing Club have assured speedway and stock car racing fans they have contractors ready to return Coventry Stadium to its original state.

The note of reassurance comes two days after The Observer published the comments of current stadium owners Brandon Estates Ltd after the motorsport facility was reduced to a ‘crime scene’ following the removal of stadium assets.

In response to what Brandon Estates said, Coventry Racing club confirmed a full safety inspection has been arranged with the correct authorities when they attended the site on Wednesday (November 30).

The club added they have no doubts the safety inspection will see their safety certificate renewed for a further three years – but only after works have been completed, which are scheduled to start in the New Year.

Coventry Racing Club said: “We are worried Brandon Estates have a case of amnesia and have not bothered to check things they have signed or sent to us as we have very clear evidence we have removed only our property from the site.

“We think they already know this but want to discredit us in the eyes of the fans.

“We have contractors ready and willing to start work to reinstate the site and to bring back our possessions so that we can continue to use them for the benefit of both sports.

“The point of this release is to say even if we are willing to put everything back and to undertake the work, they (Brandon Estates) will not give us access as an excuse that the stadium is not safe.

“We left the site in a safe state and we were very careful how we documented what we did to make sure it remained safe until January, including keeping our security on site.”

Coventry Racing Club concluded by adding: “We might be prevented by the developer who has created an opportunity he thinks he can exploit in order to get round promises he has made.

“They are correct on one point we are not in discussions with them but that is because they have already signed a head lease with Mick Horton so any dealings we have has to be via Mick Horton and not Brandon Estates.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Coventry Bees speedway stadium future in doubt again as parties 'move on'

Coventry Bees risk going out of existence unless a deal is agreed to repair Brandon stadium in the next few weeks.

The man who previously pledged to restore Coventry Stadium to operational use has apparently now “moved on” after growing tired of a lengthy contract dispute over the stadium’s use.

But further peace talks are understood to be scheduled for next week - involving Bees owner Mick Horton and Rugby Borough Council - in a bid to find a resolution that will secure the future of the speedway team.

Time is running out for a solution to be reached with the fixture list for the forthcoming season set to be issued by the British Speedway Promoters Association (BSPA) at the end of January.

Mick Horton has not responded to requests for comment.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Coventry Bees speedway stadium ownership mystery amid police investigation

Mystery surrounds Coventry Bees’ future at Brandon speedway stadium with question marks hanging over who is currently in charge of the venue.

The site was due to pass into the control of Bees owner Mick Horton from land owners Brandon Estates at the start of January, but it’s unclear if that has happened as was expected.

The stadium is currently unusable after key fixtures and fitting were removed in a contract dispute and a police investigation is underway.

It has been suggested the stadium could be returned to working order within weeks if a peace deal is agreed but with no clarity on the site’s future and the sport’s governing body due to release fixtures this month, time is running out.

The Telegraph has been trying to contact Bees promoter Mick Horton for more than a week, but he has failed to return our calls or respond to repeated requests for comment left on voicemail and with his office.

A statement from James Crocker, partner at law firm Howell & Co, said: “The police had asked us not to issue any further press releases pending the conclusion of their enquiries.

“In fairness to the police, who have a difficult task to undertake, we feel obliged to adhere to their request.

“I am very sorry therefore I am not able to comment on the question you ask.

“Please rest assured that as soon as the police have completed their enquiries, in what I am sure will be a difficult matter, we will then be able to answer all your questions.”

Jeremy Heaver, Mr Sandhu’s representative, told the Telegraph they were not aware of the current situation with the lease as they were no longer involved having handed over control in December.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Coventry Bees speedway 'unlikely' to agree Brandon track deal ahead of new season

Coventry Bees are ‘unlikely’ to agree a deal to keep speedway at Brandon ahead of the new season, the stadium owners have confirmed.

Brandon Estates has told the Telegraph that Bees promoter Mick Horton did not take up the stadium lease at the start of the year as part of a deal which would have secured speedway at the venue for three more years.

The property firm says the decision not to follow through with the previously agreed stadium deal was Mr Horton’s.

Brandon Estates is eager to build homes on the stadium land after purchasing it from former Coventry Bees promoter, and CoventryStox stock car owner, Avtar Sandhu.

But the firm had agreed to hold off on the plans for three years after agreeing a stadium deal with Mr Horton in November.

However, a statement from James Crocker, lawyer for Brandon Estates, has confirmed that deal is now dead.

He said: “I can expressly confirm that Mr Mick Horton did not take up the lease of Brandon Stadium on January 3, 2017.

“It would obviously be improper for me or my clients to comment on Mr Horton’s decision. I can however say the decision not to take up the Lease was Mr Horton’s and not Brandon Estates Ltd and Brandon Estates Ltd had offered a substantial and extremely generous sponsorship package to Mr Horton/Coventry Speedway Ltd.”

The statement added: “I do not believe that a new lease will be entered into prior to the start of the forthcoming Speedway season.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:44 pm

Fans left in the dark as Coventry Stadium saga rumbles on six days after deadline

FURTHER frustration dominated the day of Coventry Bees fans as a possible announcement regarding the club’s future was not made today.

It was reported the British Speedway Promoters Association were expecting to hear an announcement from Bees owner Mick Horton before midday today.

However no public announcement has yet been made to confirm whether the Bees will be on track.

Concern now looks set to rumble on into its seventh day since the BSPA’s absolute final deadline was set for last Friday (January 20).

Speedway GB, the official Twitter account for British Speedway, tweeted this morning: “Another busy day ahead behind the scenes as we continue to work on the Coventry situation. We want the Bees on track if possible!”

It added: “We understand the desire for urgent answers and we sympathise with Bees fans. We will do what we can, thank you for your patience.”

It is now unknown when fans should expect a statement, despite Coventry’s first home fixture scheduled to take place in 71 days against the Kings Lynn Stars.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Coventry Bees to share track with Leicester Lions

Coventry Bees have agreed a track share deal with Leicester Lions.

The 2017 racing season is set to go ahead now the club has signed an agreement to share the Leicester Lions’ Beaumont Park venue.

A statement from the British Speedway Promoters’ Association says: “The British Speedway Promoters’ Association are pleased to finally confirm Coventry Bees will be racing in the 2017 SGB Premiership.

“We have accepted proposals for the team to race on a temporary basis at Leicester’s Beaumont Park for the opening weeks of the season with the ultimate aim of moving back to Coventry during the campaign.

“For the avoidance of doubt, both Coventry and Leicester will be racing as separate teams and this is in no way an amalgamation of the two clubs.

“The move has been made to keep Coventry on track in very trying circumstances with their former Brandon Stadium home currently unavailable.

“However, strenuous efforts will continue to be made to take the team back to the famous site.

“We would like to place on record our thanks to Avtar Sandhu of Coventry Racing Club Ltd for supporting this venture, Leicester Speedway, Cllr Stokes (leader of Rugby Borough Council ) and Mick Horton, Coventry Bees promoter.

“Our best wishes go to both Leicester Lions and Coventry Bees for a successful 2017 season and we look forward to seeing the Bees move back home at the earliest possible time during the season.”

The announcement comes after meetings between bosses at the British Speedway Promoters Association and the Coventry Bees.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:26 am

Coventry Bees situation raised in Parliament as MP Mark Pawsey calls for debate on governance of speedway

MPs could debate the governance of the sport of speedway following the latest Business Questions meeting in the Houses of Parliament.

The idea of a debate was raised by Rugby MP Mark Pawsey, who highlighted the current situation of the Coventry Bees speedway team to the Rt. Hon David Lidington – Leader of the House of Commons – last week.

Mr Lidington has since invited Mr Pawsey to discuss the current situation facing the Bees with Sports Minister Tracey Crouch MP, who would be interested to hear what is happening regarding speedway in the midlands.

Following a bitter off-season dispute between the Bees, CoventryStox and Brandon Estates Ltd – the owner of Coventry Stadium – fans of the Bees must now travel an additional 29 miles each way to watch their team compete at Leicester’s Beaumont Park stadium.

Speedway has been taking place at the popular Brandon facility since the 1920s – however unless a deal can be reached, the sport will not return to Brandon again.

Mark said: “I’m very concerned about the future of speedway at Brandon, which is a major blow for the local community at Brandon.

“I grew up in Binley Woods and I remember going to enjoy racing there with friends and family when I was young.

“Speedway is a great family evening and you often see three generations of fans watching from the terraces.

“Brandon Stadium is a valuable local asset with a great community history.

“I hope that the different parties involved in the dispute can come back round the table and do everything possible to keep speedway racing at Brandon and will do all I can to see that happen.”

Mark is secretary of the All Parliamentary Group for speedway and has talked to other MPs with speedway stadiums in their constituencies about the future of the sport.

During Business Questions, Mark requested the governance of the sport to be debated in parliament.

He told the Rt. Hon. David Lidington MP: “I do not know whether you have ever attended a speedway meeting, Mr Speaker, but that fast, exciting motor sport has always attracted a family audience.

“Speedway racing has taken place at Brandon in my constituency since the early days of the sport in the 1920s.

“Unfortunately, as a consequence of a dispute over the use of the stadium at Brandon, the Coventry Bees will start the new season this summer 25 miles away in Leicester, at great inconvenience to local fans.

“May we have a debate on the governance of this sport?”

In response, Mr Lidington said: “I am sure that if my hon. Friend were to draw his concerns to the attention of the Minister for Sport she would be only too delighted to see what is happening in the speedway world in the midlands.

“As he has suggested, however, the governance of the sport is a matter for the independent governing bodies of the sport rather than a matter in which Ministers should intervene.”

dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News