Woman settles shop bill 38 years later

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Woman settles shop bill 38 years later

Postby dutchman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:32 pm

A woman has paid a shop £20, 38 years after she was undercharged for some blankets.

The Daily Telegraph reports that 77-year-old Sylvia Blampey contacted Jackson's department store in Paignton, Devon, to repay the money.

Blampey explained that she didn't say anything when she realised she was being undercharged for the bedding because she was poor at the time. The incident took place in 1971, just after Britain switched from pounds, shilling and pence to a decimal currency.

"It was grossly in my favour, but I never said a word," she said. "I was so grateful because I was really short of funds at the time, but I did feel guilty. Then it went right out of my mind and only came back to me about five weeks ago."

She continued: "It's the least anybody could do. If you realise you made a mistake, put it right - actions speak louder than words. I should have sorted it out before I was baptised in 1988."

Jackson's managing director Brian Carter said that he "pinched himself" when he heard the news and donated the £20 to charity. He also sent Blampey a store calendar.

Blampey also revealed that she had reimbursed WH Smith after she was given a free map when she thought she had left the one she bought in the shop.

After discovering that the original map was at her house, she bought something for £9.99 and then put it back on the shelf.

Shopkeepers in Liverpool are looking forward to a bonanza if anything similar happens there :lol:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News