Council gives over-50s slipper advice

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Council gives over-50s slipper advice

Postby dutchman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:29 pm

A scheme which gives the over-50s advice on how to wear slippers safely has been defended by a local authority.

Warwickshire County Council's initiative was slammed as "patronising" by critics, who said that it was also a waste of tax-payers' cash.

The scheme allows "older people" the chance to replace worn slippers for a new pair for just £5, with advice on how to don them and avoid accidents around the home included in the fee. While the authority said that the initiative will save money in the long run by preventing falls, critics told The Daily Telegraph that the money could be better spent.

Chief Executive of the TaxPayers' Alliance Matthew Elliott said that responsible adults were being treated like children. "People in their 50s in particular will be surprised to learn that they are judged incapable of buying and putting on slippers without interference," he said.

"Most people targeted by this scheme would far prefer to have lower council tax and money to pay the bills rather than lectures on slippers from the council."

A spokeswoman for the local authority responded: "It's entirely optional and the majority of people who are taking up the scheme are 65 plus - however, for those who may have health needs at an earlier age, the service is here."
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Council gives over-50s slipper advice

Postby rebbonk » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:24 pm

The Nanny State gets better and better doesn't it?

Whilst I might applaud the sentiment behind this "initiative", there are far better ways of going about it. I'm in agreement with the critics, overall I think it a waste of money.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Council gives over-50s slipper advice

Postby yourworstnightmare » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:10 pm

Please tell me what kind of Monkeys are running the zoo :fuming:
Dont anyone especially some clowns in any council, tell me the over 50s are old, i have forgotten more than some of these eijitts know, and another waste of money/resources while the country is getting loopier. OR AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEEMS TO BE LOOPY. ;)
yourworstnightmare

Return to News