Local, national, international and oddball news stories
Write comments

Britons share £90m lottery prize

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Two British tickets shared the 100m euros (£90m) EuroMillions jackpot on Friday, according to operator Camelot.

A spokesman said neither ticketholder had yet come forward to claim their £45,570,835.50 - the largest lottery prizes ever paid out in the UK.

If one person, rather than a syndicate, owns either ticket it will also be the UK's biggest ever individual win.

In May, a ticket bought in Spain broke the European lottery's record by netting a 126m euros (£110m) jackpot.

A Camelot spokesman said on Saturday that the two lucky ticketholders from Friday's draw had not yet been identified.

"We are looking forward to the winners coming forward," he said. "We have no valid claims so far."

Until now, the biggest ever single win was by former Royal Mail worker Angela Kelly, from Airth Castle, near Falkirk, who scooped £35.4m in August 2007.

She offered her congratulations to the latest millionaires "on taking my National Lottery title".

"My win has enabled me to bring a great deal of happiness to my friends and family, which has in turn made me very happy," she said.

"I wish the new winner the best of luck."

Mark Gardiner, of Hastings, East Sussex, shared £22,590,829 with Paul Maddison in June 1995.

He said: "I'd say to the winner - enjoy yourself, do the one thing you have always wanted to do or buy, treat yourself with an impulse purchase and then take two steps back to let it all sink in."

The winning numbers on Friday were 19, 43, 45, 34, 11 and the Lucky Star numbers were 5 and 9.

Nine European countries participate in the EuroMillions lottery - the UK, the Irish Republic, France, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium and Luxembourg.

Past Lottery winners sent their congratulations to the ticket holders.

Re: Britons share £90m lottery prize

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:30 pm

That's an awful lot of dosh :o

I hope whoever's won it takes all the help and financial advice which is offered to them - but thoroughly enjoys it and spreads some of it around sensibly.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:16 pm

£45million is an insane amount for one person Polly. Above about a million you wouldn't really notice any benefit.

This also gets me, the government is always telling us we can't expect to earn money for nothing and then encourages everybody to buy a national lottery ticket!

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:02 am

It is far too much for one person !!! Shame that if it's not won after a couple of weeks that it's not shared amongst the other winners,

I believe they do this on the National Lottery - it's only allowed to roll over for 3 weeks I believe :?:

Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:32 pm

I think you are correct Pollyanna but have never been anywhere in the vicinity of 1 week never mind 3 weeks :lol:

Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:49 pm

I never do it so will never win!!!!!

Apparently both winners have come forward now.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:01 pm

I can assure you I ain't one of them but it could be the wife and she never tells me anything only when a
bill wants paying :twisted:

Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Seems like one half of the prize has gone to a syndicate in Liverpool - each member will receive approx. £5.5M each - and very nice too :!:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/nov/0 ... ate-ticket

Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:58 pm

It just seems morally wrong to me in a country where so many people have so little.
Write comments