The closing shop chains thread...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: [Renamed] The closing shop chains thread...

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Melisandre wrote:HSBC I was told on Wednesday is closing in Bedworth .

Yep, reported widely elsewhere but totally ignored by the Telegraph. :fuming:

Balsall Common also closing.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Melisandre,

Will you be able to use the local Post Office when it re-opens? (Feb 6th I think)
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:29 pm

dutchman wrote:...totally ignored by the Telegraph...

Yet they give space to a few girls scrapping in Brum!

The rag really isn't worth reading, and often the only truth it contains is the price on the front page.

And still there is no search function on the electronic version, or at least I haven't found one. :fuming:
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:54 pm

dutchman wrote:Yep, reported widely elsewhere but totally ignored by the Telegraph. :fuming:

Balsall Common also closing.

The Telegraph leave out a lot of Coventry news they seem fixed on reporting other news which has nothing to do with Coventry or things of no interest which you could call news.
Melisandre

Postby Melisandre » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:14 am

rebbonk wrote:Melisandre,

Will you be able to use the local Post Office when it re-opens? (Feb 6th I think)

Thank you Rebbonk for the above information that will be handy for me.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Brantano goes into administration with thousands of jobs at risk

Footwear retailer Brantano has collapsed into administration, putting more than a thousand jobs at risk.

The group, owned by private equity firm Alteri, has struggled following the Brexit-induced collapse in the value of the pound as well as experiencing difficult trading conditions.

Administrator PwC said redundancies would be "inevitable".

Brantano operates 73 stores and 64 concessions across Britain, employing 1,086 staff.

Among them are those at Central Six Retail Park in Coventry and Hatton Village in Warwick.

There are no other Brantano outlets in Coventry or Warwickshire.

PwC will continue to trade the business while "assessing the trading strategy and any interest in parts of the business over the coming days and weeks".

It has been reported Shoe Zone and Edinburgh Woollen Mill, the retail group run by the billionaire Philip Day, have expressed an interest in parts of the business.

Staff will be paid their arrears of wages and salaries, and will continue to be paid for their work while the business is in administration, the accountancy giant added.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:36 am

Single price retail group falls into administration

The rival single price store chain acquired by Black Country retailer Poundland less than two years ago has reportedly fallen into administration.

Willenhall-based Poundland invested around £55m to acquire the 99p Stores in 2015 following clearance by the competitions watchdog.

Poundland then began the process of integrating the 99p Stores estate into its own – although several stores were earmarked for closure in areas where Poundland was already operating.

According to Retail Week, the remnants of the 99p Stores group has now lapsed into administration. The administration is thought to affect around 60 shops which had remained on 99p Stores leases following the acquisition but which have already closed.

Poundland had tried to offload the underperforming stores but failed to do so.

The impact on jobs is thought to be minimal because many of the 99p Stores staff had already transferred to Poundland.

Ironically, the acquisition and subsequent integration caused many problems for Poundland and spotting that the business was vulnerable, South Africa-based Steinhoff mounted an attempt to acquire the business which after a protracted process, proved successful.

The administration is said to have no impact on the Poundland business.

Source: http://www.thebusinessdesk.com
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:54 pm

From the Telegraph:

There are currently five 99p Stores across Coventry and Warwickshire - including two shops in the city at Hertford Street and Central Six Retail Park.

There are also stores in Queens Road, Nuneaton, The Square in Kenilworth and Rugby’s High Street.

There will be little reason for anyone to venture into the city centre any more! :lol:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:22 am

I only ever venture into the centre once every couple of months now and that's only to keep my banking up to date and to pay the council tax. I can't remember the last time I actually went 'shopping' there.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:11 pm

I used to have to visit once a month to collect a prescription but they changed the system for renewals and I can now pick it up from Morrison's.
dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News