The closing shop chains thread...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: [Renamed] The closing shop chains thread...

Postby dutchman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:31 pm

Marks & Spencer to axe dozens of high street stores in Rowe revamp

The new boss of Marks & Spencer (M&S) is to axe dozens of UK stores and stop selling clothing in others in a radical shake-up of its high street presence aimed at persuading the City that he can revive the fortunes of Britain’s best-known retailer.

Sky News has learnt that Steve Rowe, who took the helm at M&S earlier this year, will announce next week that a substantial chunk of its UK store portfolio is to be reorganised, a move that will include the outright closure of a significant number of shops.

Sources said on Friday that the closures, which will take place over several years, would number "in the low dozens", while other stores will see space reallocated from clothing to its more successful food operations.

A number of other stores are expected to be relocated.

That will mean M&S's clothing range being sold in a substantially smaller number of shops, which one retail analyst described as "a seismic shift" for the company.

:sky_news:

I took one look at their prices the other week and walked straight back out again.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:36 pm

The customers have told M&S they are to expensive which staff told me they have reduced their prices in the clothes section. I made complaints about the clothes sizes designs and poor quality for the price the manager phoned me so I told him he asked to let him know what I thought of their new autumn range nothing has changed no wonder they are cutting back their stores.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:36 pm

Poundland could close Coventry city centre store

One of Poundland’s Coventry shops could be set to close its doors as the company’s new owner looks to reduce its store portfolio.

Poundland is believed to be considering closing 80 of its 900 stores, according to reports in the Daily Telegraph, with its Coventry Hertford Street store among those earmarked for closure.

Poundland currently has two stores in close proximity in the city centre, with outlets in both Market Way and Hertford Street.

The budget retailer also has a store at Coventry’s Central Six Retail Park, as well as stores in Leamington and Kenilworth.

A Poundland spokesperson said the retailer “continues to look at optimising its estate in the wake of its acquisition of the 99p Stores chain”.

Stores under threat are believed to have been identified because of duplication following Poundland’s £55m acquisition of the 251-strong 99p Stores chain last year.

When the Poundland/99p Stores deal was first mooted reports suggested up to 80 stores may have to be sold to satisfy the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA).

However the CMA approved the deal without requiring any stores to be given up, suggesting the proposed store sell-off is a Poundland rationalisation move.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:08 pm

Yorkshire building society to close 48 branches and ditch current accounts

Yorkshire building society is closing 48 branches in a move it partly blamed on “an increasing desire among customers to transact digitally rather than on the high street”.

The announcement came 24 hours after HSBC said it would be shutting another 62 branches this year, on top of 55 already earmarked for closure.

The Yorkshire, Britain’s second largest building society, will quit the current account market in order to concentrate on mortgages and savings. It will also ditch the Norwich & Peterborough brand from the high street, having taken it over in 2011.

The society said the moves were designed to deliver better long-term value to its 3.3 million customers. The group aims to close 20 Yorkshire branches in May, and 28 N&P outlets from September. This would reduce the total number of branches and agencies from 308 to 260.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:21 pm

I think I spot a gap in the market here! :lol:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:13 pm

flapdoodle wrote:Who uses banks these days?

Judging by the long queues at Lloyds, quite a few people.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:38 pm

She would say that wouldn't she? She's trying to justify the closure of branches and reduction in staff. I doubt that HSBC's customers' experience is different to those of Lloyds or any other major high street bank or that many of them would agree with her.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:12 am

flapdoodle wrote:So we're supposed to believe you because you saw a queue in Lloyds, but not HSBC because 'she would say that'?

I didn't "see" a queue in Lloyds, I am stuck in a queue at Lloyds every time I have to pay a check in. I "saw" people walk out in disgust because they were fed up waiting to be served.

That'll no longer be a problem for people in Bedworth though as I've just learned theirs is one of the branches to be closed.

As for believing anything HSBC say they are closing their Leyburn branch than six months after giving a written assurance to the local MP that it wouldn't be closing: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... er_threat/
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:16 am

flapdoodle wrote:Who uses banks these days?

I do. And my observations of Lloyds reflect Dutchman's. Their queues are a bl**dy disgrace.

RBS however, is a very different kettle of fish. But they have cut their teller positions to reflect this.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:10 pm

I use a bank as well to pay my bills as I dont agree with direct debit . HSBC I was told on Wednesday is closing in Bedworth .
Melisandre

PreviousNext

Return to News