The closing shop chains thread...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: The closing shop chains thread...

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:09 pm

As I've said before, profitable businesses do not just close. Staffing difficulties are transient, there is a bigger issue here.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:12 pm

Tesco's answer to Aldi and Lidl is to be shut down

Tesco has revealed that its Jack's discount store experiment is to end, with seven of the 13 stores to be closed down completely, and that it is to shut down deli counters at hundreds of other sites.

The UK's biggest supermarket chain launched the Jack's brand - named after its founder Jack Cohen - in 2018 as part of a bid to learn how it could bring down costs and challenge the discounters Aldi and Lidl who had been taking market share for years.

But it said on Monday that six Jack's stores would now be converted to Tesco superstores, with the remaining seven sites to close in the coming months.

Tesco said that around 130 jobs would be affected, including some head office roles, but it hoped to find them new work within the business.

The seven sites listed for closure were:

• Hull
    • St Helen's
    • Walton
    • Castle Bromwich
    • Middlewich
    • Barnsley
    • Liverpool North
It was also confirmed by Tesco that meat, fish and deli counters at 317 store sites would be closed down due to changing customer demand.

However, that was not expected to lead to any redundancies as the staff hit would be offered alternative work. The chain said it currently had 3,000 vacancies in all.

Tesco said it would retain counter services at just 279 stores where custom had been maintained.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:14 am

I see TJ Hughes has gone from the lower precinct! :shock:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:09 am

That was kept quiet. Mind you, didn't they leave once before and return?
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:05 am

Indeed they did Rebbonk, in 2011:

viewtopic.php?p=21809#p21809

and also in Nuneaton.

The Nuneaton store closed for a second time in 2020 and customers were advised to use the Coventry store instead.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:36 pm

Game store closes at Coventry shopping centre

Popular video game retailer Game has closed its store at Arena Shopping Park in Coventry.

The store survived when the chain announced 40 store closures in January 2020.

But the outlet, which is part of the Fraser Group run by retail tycoon Mike Ashley, has not been spared this time.

A notice in the window, headlined It's Not Goodbye, says: "This store is now closed.

"Your nearest Game store is Game Coventry, Unit 80, North Gallery, Coventry, CV1 1NQ.

"You can still find great deals on consoles, games, accessories and more at game.co.uk."

It follows on from the closure of Game's store in House of Fraser, in the Parade, Leamington, at the turn of the year.

Nice photo Claire! :thumbsup:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:58 pm

Shock closure of popular greeting card store in Coventry

A popular greeting card retailer in Coventry appears to have closed down suddenly.

A Write Card - located on the ramp between Cross Cheaping and Broadgate - is believed to have closed with little notice to both staff and customers.

It's not known if any jobs have been affected.

Many shoppers were left bemused after its sudden closure.

It is also not the first time outlets at the greeting card retailer has shut in such an abrupt way.

Dozens of A Write Card stores closed in 2020 after the company went into liquidation.

CoventryLive spoke to a regular customer of the greeting card store who said they were 'surprised' at its sudden closure.

She said: "I used to shop at A Write Card all the time because their cards and gifts were different to those anywhere else and staff were really friendly.

"Since Clinton Cards closed down there are not many card shops left in the city centre other than Card Factory, but I think cards from A Write Card were more unique and they had a lot more choice."

"A Write Card also had gifts that you cannot find anywhere else like their Graduation range was great."

She added that it is 'disappointing' another shop will be left empty in the city centre, particularly after the closure of several high street stores during the pandemic.

But luckily for shoppers, there is another A Write Card store in the city centre located on Market Way.

CoventryLive approached A Write Card for comment but we have not received a response.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:28 pm

Staff 'devastated' as second card shop in Coventry shuts its doors

A greeting card shop in Coventry city centre has abruptly shut its doors in a move that has shocked both staff and shoppers. The closure of A Write Card in Market Way comes shortly after the company's other city centre store, on the ramp between Cross Cheaping and Broadgate, also closed.

The Market Way store closed suddenly on Wednesday evening (March 16) with staff usually receiving their pay on Thursday (March 17), however an employee alleges they "got a payslip but no pay". Other employees have claimed it will now take up to six weeks to get paid.

CoventryLive spoke to an employee, who wished to remain anonymous, and they claimed that the store has gone into liquidation. It is believed three stores across the country shut with staff having been made redundant.

The worker said: "I work there and was supposed to be working today (March 17) however got the call yesterday to say we were done. I was supposed to get paid today for last week's work and haven't so they owe me last week's pay and pay for a shift I did this week."

Expressing her frustration at the sudden closure, she said: "I'm mad as I've now been screwed over with no pay. Once again the company treated employees like crap. They gave the other shop no warning when closing leaving them with no jobs and have now done the same with the Market Way shop."

She added that it is "devastating" to not receive the pay she is owed and it was "crazy" to not have been given any notice before the sudden closure. She added: "Things like rent and bills are important and to have no notice when we were promised we'd have notice this time was crazy."

It has also been claimed employees have had no communication from the company since it suddenly shut its doors on Wednesday (March 16). The worker said: "It's all up in the air really. It's a shame when I know a lot of locals loved the shop and would be sad to hear what happened."

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:39 am

With a liquidity ratio substantially less than 0.5, and deteriorating, the writing was on the wall.

It's a real shame that employees don't take more interest in a company's financial state, it might prevent a lot of heartache and might also push management to up their game because I doubt that the owners will end up out of pocket.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:00 pm

A Write Card ceases trading leaving staff devastated at job losses in Coventry and Nuneaton

A Write Card has gone into liquidation leaving staff in Coventry and Nuneaton devastated at the loss of their jobs. A sign has been put up in the window of the branch in the Abbeygate Shopping Centre in Nuneaton which explains that the company ceased trading as of March 16.

It also states that information regarding the proposed liquidation of the company will be circulated to all creditors. Many of the staff lost their jobs with little or no notice.

CoventryLive had previously reported that that A Write Card branches in neighbouring Coventry closed last week. Similar to the Nuneaton store, the branches in the city closed without warning, leaving some staff claiming they had not been paid.

The Walsall-based firm has other branches across the Midlands, including Tamworth. The company's status has yet to change on Companies House website.

dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News