Riots: Police hit out at 'American supercop' plan...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Riots: Police hit out at 'American supercop' plan...

Postby dutchman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:00 am

UK police chiefs have reacted sceptically to plans for US "supercop" Bill Bratton to advise the government.

David Cameron has called for the former New York police chief to help address violence in English cities.

Association of Chief Police Officers' head Sir Hugh Orde said: "I am not sure I want to learn about gangs from an area of America that has 400 of them."

Downing Street has refused to be drawn into the dispute, saying Mr Bratton is to offer advice in a personal capacity.

Speaking to the Independent on Sunday, Sir Hugh, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), said: "It seems to me, if you've got 400 gangs, then you're not being very effective.

"If you look at the style of policing in the States, and their levels of violence, they are fundamentally different from here.

"What I suggested to the home secretary is a more sensible approach, maybe to look across far wider styles of policing and - more usefully - at European styles; they, like us, are bound by the European Convention.

"My sense is, when we've done that, we will find the British model is probably the top."

On the appointment of Mr Bratton, other senior police figures have spoken out saying they share Sir Hugh's concerns.

Ian Hanson, of the Greater Manchester Police Federation, called it a "slap in the face" and said Britain did not need someone from "5,000 miles away".

"There is anger, there is disappointment, a degree of incredulity as well," he told ITV News.

"What we've witnessed this week has been British policing at its absolute best.

"The police leadership has also stepped forward in support of their officers and the service and now to be given this slap in the face by the prime minister and told that he wants to bring in Bill Bratton to cure all policing ills."

Metropolitan Police Federation chairman John Tully agreed, saying he did not think American advice would help.

"Although he has a glittering record across in the States, it's a different style of policing. The gang culture's different," he said.

Earlier the Chancellor, George Osborne, dismissed calls to reverse cuts to police budgets.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News