Corridor-taught kids to get classrooms back...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Corridor-taught kids to get classrooms back...

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:32 am

Builders are today starting to lay carpets at a Coventry school, two months after flooding forced children to have lessons in corridors.

For two months, 84 pupils at Richard Lee have had to be taught in cloakrooms because the school couldn’t pay for cleaning up work following a flood there over the Christmas holidays.

As well as that classrooms have massive holes in the walls, leaky roofs and black mould is growing up walls.

The school has estimated it needs £600,000 to fix the problems, but it has a budget of just over £9,000.

The council has arranged for builders to lay new carpets and waterproof coverings so the children can move back into rooms in time for them returning from the half-term break on the 28th February.

City MP Bob Ainsworth has also written to the Education Secretary demanding a meeting over the state of the school buildings, in it he states:

“Richard Lee is currently top of Coventry City Council’s list of primary schools to be rebuilt as a consequence of its age, poor state of disrepair and the fact it does not meet the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act.”

“I visited the school last Friday and I was appalled by the condition that teachers and pupils are expected to work and learn in.”

“This dreadful state of affairs cannot be allowed to continue and I would therefore ask that you meet with myself and a delegation from the school and the Council to discuss what can be done to improve the situation at this school.”

:mercia:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News