School absence is highest in England's poorest areas

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

School absence is highest in England's poorest areas

Postby dutchman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:03 am

Persistent absence from school is five times higher in England's poorest areas than in the richest, government figures show.

Some 50,000 children in the poorest neighbourhoods are absent one day a week on average, according to an analysis by the Conservatives.

The government stresses the link between attendance and exam results.

It has spent more than £1.4bn on anti-truancy drives and says overall absence has come down.

The figures show 6.1% of children in the most deprived 10% of areas were persistently absent, compared with 1.2% at the other end of the spectrum.

The government defines persistent absence as missing at least one fifth of the available school sessions for any reason including truancy.

:bbc_news:
The Tories needed an analysis to tell them that? A visit to Spon End, Willenhall or Wood End any day of the week during school hours would have provided a pretty strong clue to the situation. They'll be telling us next that long term youth unemployment is also highest in those same areas! :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: School absence is highest in England's poorest areas

Postby rebbonk » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:37 am

Hardly rocket science is it?

I always wanted my kids to have a better education than I had. This is what pushes us forward. Unfortunately, so many parents regard education as "optional"!
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to News