Boy, 15, kicked and punched in 'terrifying attack' at Sidney Stringer Academy

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Boy, 15, kicked and punched in 'terrifying attack' at Sidney Stringer Academy

Postby dutchman » Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:24 am

He was violently set upon as a group of youths shouted 'bang him'

A Coventry mum has shared her outrage after her teenage son was attacked at Sidney Stringer Academy. Melanie Moon said he was set upon by a group of youths in a 'terrifying' attack that was filmed and then shared on Snapchat.

Melanie, from Stoke, said her son Arthur, who suffers from autism, was targeted by a group of teenagers on Wednesday (September 25). Footage seen by CoventryLive shows the 15-year-old being punched and kicked, with people heard shouting 'bang him.'

Melanie said the incident was sparked by a man taking photographs outside Sidney Stringer Academy on Monday (September 23). She claimed that the man was taking photographs and videos of the youngsters, which she said was a 'trigger' for her son Arthur.

He was said to have been 'freaked out' by this and shouted: 'Stop filming us! Why are you filming?' Arthur, who has been at Sidney Stringer Academy for two months, did not attend the following day as his mum believes he had sensed some kind of 'strangeness.'

Speaking to CoventryLive, Melanie said: “While he was not in on Tuesday, there was a lad who had said that this was his uncle, and because Arthur shouted at him, he was going to beat him up.”

As Arthur has sensory issues, he 'struggles to process danger' and followed a group of youths to a secluded area where he was violently attacked. He was repeatedly punched and kicked while people filmed videos, which were then shared on Snapchat.

Melanie said her 15-year-old son suffered bruising to his body as well as facial injuries. She said when she saw the video of the attack for the first time she was 'shaking.'

“I could not believe it, it was horrible, and I was shaking. I just keep replaying it in my head, I just cannot get those images out of my head and the sound of the kids jeering it on,” the 49-year-old told CoventryLive.

She added: “It is terrifying. I have seen him before with the lumps all over his face, but actually seeing that video of it happening, I just cannot even explain how that made me feel, I did not sleep that night, and the last couple of nights I still have not slept properly at all.”

Nobody has been reprimanded for what happened to Arthur, Melanie claimed. Although the 15-year-old tries to remain strong, his mum says she can 'see the sadness in his eyes.'

Melanie claimed that Sidney Stringer Academy is trying to 'brush the attack under the carpet.' She said: “If things are to be brushed under the carpet, then what kind of message is that teaching to kids?”

CoventryLive contacted Sidney Stringer Academy multiple times about these claims, but they failed to respond as of Thursday, October 3. Police confirmed that they are investigating the attack and said that enquiries to find those responsible are 'ongoing.'

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News