Suella Braverman challenges Sunak to cut ‘unsustainable’ net migration

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: Suella Braverman challenges Sunak to cut ‘unsustainable’ net migration

Postby dutchman » Thu May 23, 2024 10:57 am

No Rwanda flights before election, says Rishi Sunak

Rishi Sunak has said that no asylum seekers will be sent to Rwanda before the election under the government's deportation scheme.

It had been thought ministers would try to get the first flight off before polling day, to showcase their flagship policy on countering illegal migration.

But the PM has now said they will go "if I'm re-elected" on 4 July.

Labour has pledged to scrap the plan if it wins power, raising questions over whether anyone will ever be sent.

The scheme, which has already cost £240m, will be a key dividing line between the two main parties over the six-week election campaign.

Labour said Mr Sunak's comments showed the Rwanda scheme was a "con from start to finish".

Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper added: "He doesn't believe this plan will work, and that's why he called the election now in the desperate hope that he won't be found out."

The programme, which has been delayed by legal challenges, was announced over two years ago by then-prime minister Boris Johnson.

But Mr Sunak has made delivering it a key priority of his premiership, arguing it will deter people from crossing the English Channel in small boats.

In a sign he now wants to make delivering the plan a key offer to voters, he said flights will go "in July" and "that's the choice at this election".

Asked on BBC Radio 4 whether this meant after the election, he replied "Yes," before adding "the choice here is clear".

"If you think stopping the boats is important, and you think like I do that you need a deterrent to do that [...] then I'm the only one that's going to deliver that," he added.

The Liberal Democrats called the comments an "utter humiliation and admission of defeat" from the prime minister.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu May 23, 2024 5:35 pm

Sunak now owes Piers Morgan £1,000 after the latter bet him live on TV that "not one person would be deported to Rwanda before the next election". :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu May 23, 2024 9:10 pm

Pocket money to Sunak!
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri May 24, 2024 2:22 am

No10 refuses to honour Sunak’s £1,000 Rwanda flights bet with Piers Morgan

Downing Street has refused to honour Rishi Sunak’s £1,000 bet with Piers Morgan over Rwanda flights, pointing out that one asylum seeker has gone there voluntarily.

The Prime Minister shook hands on the wager during a television interview with the journalist. Morgan asked him: “I bet you £1,000 to a refugee charity that you won’t get anybody on those planes before the election.”

But on Thursday, Mr Sunak admitted that no asylum seekers would be sent to Rwanda before the election under the Government’s deportation scheme.

It had been thought ministers would try to get the first flight away before polling day – but on Thursday he said they would go “if I’m re-elected” on July 4.

It prompted Morgan, the former editor of the Daily Mirror, to tweet: “Dear Prime Minister, following your admission today that no flights will take off to Rwanda before the election, please send £1,000 to British Red Cross. Kind regards, Piers.”

But No 10 pointed out that one person had actually been flown to Rwanda, under a voluntary scheme.

The bet was made during a Talk TV interview with Mr Morgan in February.

Mr Sunak appeared to accept the bet by shaking hands with the broadcaster, telling him: “I want to get the people on the planes. I am working incredibly hard to get people on the planes.”

Mr Morgan replied: “I do not think it’s going to work for you. That’s my grim prediction.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri May 24, 2024 2:23 am

It just proves what a lying, worthless skunk Sunak really is! :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Fri May 24, 2024 11:10 am

Not an ounce of honour in him (or most of the other 650 MPs!) :fuming: :fuming: :fuming:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Previous

Return to News