Shock decision over future of Bedworth's Civic Hall

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Shock decision over future of Bedworth's Civic Hall

Postby dutchman » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:02 pm

It has served the borough for more than half a century

Council bosses have made the bombshell decision that the Civic Hall in Bedworth will never re-open. In fact it could be bulldozed as part of new regeneration plans for the town centre.

This afternoon (October 3) Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council has confirmed that the venue, which has served the borough for more than half a century, will remain closed. It has not played home to a show for more than three years.

It has been used as a Covid test centre before it became the borough's biggest vaccination hub. It has remained as a vaccination hub ever since.

But now, as the vaccination programme ends at the venue, a final decision has been made about its future. And that means it will not re-open again as an entertainment venue.

Back in the summer, a last gasp bid was made to try to secure its future and the council made an an expression of interest for Arts Council funding to help get the venue re-opened - but it failed. Now, facing having to find at least £1m to get the venue re-open, the ruling Conservatives have taken the decision to close it forever.

It is a move that is likely to cause anger in the community and is something that council leader, councillor Kris Wilson is acutely aware of. He admitted that it is one of the toughest decisions he had made so far as leader, but one he says has had to be made.

"I understand that people will have very very strong emotions and thoughts on this and it is not something I want to do if I am honest," he told CoventryLive. "I am in a position where it is just simply unsustainable and unaffordable."

He said he faced a head over heart dilemma, having fond memories of the venue himself. "I have had to get over my heart and listen to my head in coming to this decision," he said.

"The heart says keep it open, keep paying all these sums of money to keep it open. But when you put all of the facts into the equation, the logical conclusion, when the head comes in, it is not financially sustainable - we have other key crucial services that we have to provide.

"We have universal services we have to provide. Can we keep throwing significant amounts of money that very few people use and is poorly designed and is not fit for purpose any more?"

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Shock decision over future of Bedworth's Civic Hall

Postby dutchman » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:04 pm

I remember watching the mid-week wrestling from there on ITV.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:02 pm

Many of my acquaintances are disgusted by this. My own view is that if it isn't paying its way it should go.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri May 26, 2023 11:35 pm

Bedworth councillor won't stand for re-election after claims he received death threats

An under-fire Bedworth councillor has announced that he will not stand for re-election next year. Councillor Kyle Evans has issued a statement in which he says the past few months have been 'difficult' and he claims he has been at the centre of threats and intimidation in regards to the Civic Hall in Bedworth.

The Slough ward representative said a 'small group of people have decided to put their personal political interests ahead of the town' and it has forced him to take the decision to take a 'new direction' in life. It comes after leaked emails emerged about the Civic Hall at the time when he was cabinet member for public services at the Town Hall.

The future of the Civic Hall has been especially controversial since the Town Hall made the shock announcement that the venue would not re-open after the NHS pulled out of the contract to use it as a vaccination hub early. This has led to the local authority opening it up for outside groups or organisations to take over running, and that too has been dogged by controversy.

In his statement, the councillor said he has tried his hardest to work with those who seek to re-open the venue but the situation has become untenable. So he will not stand in next year's Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council elections.

"Yesterday (May 25) I informed the Conservative Party of my intention not to seek re-election next year. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a councillor since 2018 and I have achieved a lot for our town," the statement read.

"In particular, I was proud to play my part in leading the efforts that secured £15 million for Bedworth in government Levelling Up Funding and allowing market traders in Bedworth to operate outside in All Saints Square.

"However, the last few months have been incredibly difficult. A small minority of people in the town have decided to launch a campaign of rumour, innuendo and intimidation against me which has subsequently led to me receiving daily abuse and death threats. Quite frankly, I have tried my hardest to ignore these threats and carry on, but this is becoming increasingly difficult by the day, and I wish to take a new direction in life. I have tried my hardest to work constructively with those who seek to re-open the Bedworth Civic Hall, however, a small group of people have decided to put their personal political interests ahead of the interests of the town. I cannot say more on this due to potential legal proceedings against one individual in particular.

"For now, I would like to thank the residents of the Slough ward for electing me on two separate occasions. It has genuinely been the honour of my life to represent over 5,000 people at the Town Hall since 2018 and those who have continually supported me since 2018 will remain friends of mine for life."

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:48 am

Community group to get chance to run Bedworth Civic Hall

A Warwickshire entertainment venue could soon reopen after a community interest company (CIC) was given the chance to take over running it.

Bedworth Civic Hall closed at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic and was not reopened.

In November, Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council said investment was desperately needed for the theatre.

Bedworth CIC would now be given the chance to agree a lease to run the venue, the authority said.

A deal could see the group run it for up to 20 years while the council remains as owner.

The prospective partnership followed a detailed bidding process in which organisations were given the chance to come forward with plans, the council said.

"We would like to see the lease concluded quickly so that the civic hall can reopen under the CIC's management," councillor Sue Markham explained.

Steven Young, chair of Bedworth CIC, said the group looked forward to working with the authority "to enable the continued use and success of the venue".

The council previously suggested that operating the hall again could cost it a sum of £845,000.

At the time, leader Kris Wilson called that a "significant financial burden" on the council's budget.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:23 am

Community group sign lease to take over venue

Contracts have been exchanged which pave the way for the reopening of a Warwickshire entertainment venue.

The 20-year lease signed for Bedworth Civic Hall brings a community group a step closer to taking the venue on.

Bedworth Civic Hall Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) said it now aimed to reopen the facility "over the next two years".

Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council said the lease would take effect so long as the community group secured necessary funding within eight weeks.

The hall has been closed since October 2022, after the council said it could no longer afford running costs.

Used as a vaccination centre during the pandemic, it has previously welcomed performers such as Morecambe and Wise and Bill Haley and the Comets.

Charity chair of Bedworth Civic Hall CIO Sam Margrave said volunteers had worked "incredibly hard" to reach this point.

"We thank the community volunteers who made this happen through hard work and perseverance," he added.

"Over the next two years we will reopen and bring back all the old, with lots of new as part of our vision for building a better Bedworth and borough through the Civic Hall."

He added a new programme of events would have wide-ranging appeal for the community as a whole.

The council said it welcomed the milestone, following a lengthy search for an operator and protracted negotiations with the CIO.

Tom Shardlow, strategic director for economy and transformation, said: "I know how much the Civic Hall means to the residents of the borough and I am so pleased that a binding agreement has been reached."

He wished the new operators luck in securing the funding detailed in their business plan.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News