"Huge queues outside the Oak Inn in Coventry that opened on stroke of midnight"

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

"Huge queues outside the Oak Inn in Coventry that opened on stroke of midnight"

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:29 pm

The Oak Inn in Coventry opened its doors to punters in the early hours as coronavirus lockdown rules were lifted

This was the scene at The Oak in Coventry as it opened its doors to thirsty punters at midnight for their first pub drink in many months.

The pub announced earlier this week that when the clock struck 12.01am and April 12 began, it would be welcoming customers to sit outside - and the offer was certainly taken up.

Lines of people could be seen queuing up outside the pub in Gosford Street in the run-up to midnight in order to get that first pint, glass of wine or whatever their beverage of choice was as soon as possible when the latest lockdown rules lifted.

Today is a big day for many with pubs and restaurants able to serve customers sitting outside, while non-essential shops, gyms and leisure centres can also reopen as the Government's roadmap out of lockdown continues.

:rolling:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: "Huge queues outside the Oak Inn in Coventry that opened on stroke of midnight"

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:31 pm

If they're going to the pub at midnight they're not going to work the next day are they? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: "Huge queues outside the Oak Inn in Coventry that opened on stroke of midnight"

Postby rebbonk » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:25 pm

I've just walked past my local (bookings only for today) I think I counted 4 people outside.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby rebbonk » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:53 pm

Second walk past the local and there were a few more people there.

I think in a few months we'll be seeing lots of outdoor furniture being sold off at bargain prices.

I see Coventry Council (according to the local ITV news) are looking at The Oak for possible covid regulation violations.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:47 pm

I thought I'd posted this earlier (from my laptop) but it somehow failed to appear.

Pictures of the long queue outside the pub were posted on social media prompting the council to investigate.

A spokeswoman for the local authority said with restrictions being eased it wanted to remind everyone "about the importance of following the rules", which included social distancing and regular hand washing.

Mr Lee said the council had not yet contacted him, but believed rules were observed.

"We always do things safely and properly," he said. "We were able to get outside as per the national guidelines."

Police officers who went to site were "more than happy", he added.

West Midlands Police said it had been told of the plans and officers visited the pub where they found customers following guidelines.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:42 pm

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:31 am

I had a couple of pints Tuesday afternoon in the local. I'd not say it was particularly busy but was a pleasant way of spending an hour or two. They've obviously spent quite a lot of money and I can't see them recouping it.

Interestingly, I was talking to someone who has a brother that runs a Coventry pub. It's on a massive plot and could easily accommodate plenty of outdoor drinkers. However, he's taken the attitude that for the sake of a few weeks he's not going to spend any more money, after the money he spent last year to be covid compliant.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:16 pm

The Old Dyers in Spon End has NOT reopened.

One theory is that the beer garden is too small to be worth opening for, another is that they're better-off continuing to receive goverment compensation.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sat May 01, 2021 8:55 pm

The Old Dyers is getting a new coat of paint at the moment so I suspect it's scheduled to reopen some time very soon.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed May 19, 2021 9:56 pm

Hardly anyone inside the Dyers this evening. What's more surprising there was no one drinking outside like they normally do either! :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Next

Return to News