Mon Feb 09, 2026 4:15 am
Residents of Hawkesbury Village will have one access point via road for three weeks
Residents of a village on the edge of Coventry fear a bridge closure will spark safety issues and traffic mayhem. The humpback bridge that goes over the canal, connecting Grange Road with Hawkesbury Village, will close later this month for three weeks.
Signs warning drivers of the closure have been put up on both sides of the bridge by utility giant Cadent. It was understood it was to allow work to be done for the new housing estate being built on fields leading to the Greyhound Inn pub.
The closure means residents will only have one access route by road in and out of the village for the duration of the work. But even that route, Blackhorse Road leading to Exhall, has a level crossing which is impassable several times an hour due to passing trains.
"This is a significant issue especially when you consider emergency services accessing the village," one concerned resident told CoventryLive. "But also only having one access in and out of the village for a couple of thousand people, which is over a train crossing.
"There will be no access in or out of the village which is totally unacceptable and a high risk when emergency services are required. This clearly has not been thought through or discussed with Warwickshire County Council.
"There are many people, a couple of thousand, living in Hawkesbury Village who this will affect. There will be huge tailbacks to get out of Blackhorse Road onto Coventry Road, especially as the traffic lights change so quickly sometimes only three cars get through at a time."
Another resident said: "We're going to be stuck. The only road out of the village is going to be absolutely mayhem come rush hour.
"What if there is an incident at the train crossing like there was a few weeks and that road gets closed too? There'll be no getting in or out - hopefully someone sorts it because it's going to be a nightmare.
"The village is also a route into Coventry for people coming from Bedworth and Nuneaton, so closing that is going to also have a massive knock of effect on other roads into the city."
The houses being built are understood to fall within the boundary of the city of Coventry, but according to Coventry City Council Highways page on its website, the highway authority for this work is Warwickshire County Council.
We've raised the concerns with both councils and Cadent.
“We understand residents’ concerns about the temporary road closure," A Cadent spokesperson said. "The work is essential to ensure a safe and reliable gas supply for the area. We have worked closely with National Highways and the local councils to plan the works carefully to minimise disruption.
“The closure will be in place for the shortest possible time, and the road will reopen as soon as it is safe to do so. We thank residents for their patience while this vital work is completed.”
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/villagers-fear-mayhem-over-bridge-33375217
Fri Feb 13, 2026 3:40 am
U-turn over bridge closure that would have isolated village on the edge of Coventry
The closure of a bridge that connects a small residential village with Coventry has been cancelled.
As previously reported, Cadent announced plans to close the humpback bridge that connects Grange Road in Longford with Hawkesbury Village, just outside the city in Warwickshire.
The three week closure would have meant there were times throughout the day the village was inaccessible by road - with the only alternative route in and out by car being Blackhorse Road, which has a train crossing that renders it impassable several times an hour throughout the day.
The issue led to concern from residents, who not only worried about congestion, but also the village being inaccessible to emergency service vehicles.
Having listened to residents concerns, which were also raised through Warwickshire County Council, the utility giant has decided to cancel the work - for now.
One resident told CoventryLive: "This is good news - we will just have to see what proposals they come back with."
A spokesman for Cadent told us: "We place the utmost importance on the highest standard for our mains replacement projects and we work very hard to build good relations with the local councils, Highways Authorities and the public, to listen and work with them as well as collaborating with other utilities too, to enable us to do our essential works.
"Following access concerns raised by residents and discussions with Warwickshire County Council, we revisited the reinforcement work that has already taken place and agreed that we can optimise pressures to ensure a safe supply.
"As such, we have agreed that we can stop our work but will continue to monitor the gas supply, and should the need arise for further works to take place, then we will work with the council to find a suitable time."
A Warwickshire County Council spokesman said: "Following intervention from Warwickshire County Council’s Network Management team, Cadent Gas has suspended the proposed works and associated closure of the bridge that connects Grange Road with Hawkesbury village.
"Cadent Gas has decided to withdraw the current programme and undertake a full review and re-plan of the works. Warwickshire County Council (WCC) and Coventry City Council (CCC) will continue to work closely with Cadent Gas and its contractor to ensure a satisfactory way forward is identified."
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/u-turn-over-bridge-closure-33412995